Forum home Wildlife gardening

Side-effect of Storm Ciara??

Extremely windy here in coastal SW Wales - I'm about 2kms from the coastline. Opened my greenhouse slide door to find a frantic cock Goldfinch trying desperately to get out...!! How on earth did it get in - all vents, windows & doors firmly closed.? Yes - I've left the door open, so maybe it'll decided to rejoin the flock feasting on  'ninja' seed (as my granddaughter calls it..)!!

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 10,493
    Just had a huge gust here with torrential sideways rain. The birds are still trying to make it onto the bird feeder though!
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,185
    “Bill, call the tree surgeon will you, and tell him we don’t need him any more”

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461
    Is that yours Pansyface? Do you need a man with a chainsaw? Are you OK?

• FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Wishing all your greenhouses the best of health
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,185
    No, not me fidget. Some poor soul in Shirebrook.😁
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,461
    edited February 2020
    Possibly one of my relatives then.  My mother and her parents were born there. Her paternal grandfathers line runs there until we lose any records in the parish.
    I think there must be an incident on the M1 near us. We have a police helicopter hovering, that is when he isn't going backwards with the wind.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,629
    I have lost three fence panels to date, and lots of tree limbs blocking the roads ( was like a slalom going into town this morning) Just seen a post saying a local windmill has lost its dome and sails!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 4,629

• Update on Mr Goldfinch: Having tempted him towards the open door with a scattering of sunflower hearts (which he scoffed on his way out), he rejoined the 'family flock' members who awaited his arrival in a nearby hardy fuchsia bush. Much sniggering and chatter from the juveniles & a fair bit of "Where the Moses have YOU been..?" from Mrs Goldfinch, no doubt!! All's well that end's well or so they say! [photos of the happy couple may possibly be available - if it ever stops raining!!].