Forum home Garden design

Which plant should I put here?

In my new house / garden I recently removed an old privet hedge that was growing as a boundary between my and my neighbours garden - it is very close to my living room window (just seen in the corner of the below photo) and was blocking all of the light. I've had two fence panels fitted instead, painted the same colour grey as the existing fence. I've fixed Gripple trellis up both panels and I had been planning to grow trachelospermum jasminoides up both panels. As you can see I've already planted one this weekend which I had growing in a pot from my previous house. I planned to use Jasmine partly as I already had one, and also because I love its autumn foliage, it's evergreen and the scent is wonderful. I had been planning to buy another 2 or 3 to fit along here so that it covers the two fence panels. However now I'm wondering if I should mix it up a bit - eg with Clematis or... something else? If I choose something else, I would like it to be evergreen - this area is very visible from my living room window - and it would also have to blend well with the trachelospermum jasminoides in both summer and autumn/winter. It's a south west corner of my garden - nice and warm now (probably very hot in the summer!) Would be great to hear if people think visually it would be better to keep it the same and stick with the Star Jasmine or mix it up :smile:

PS. The pots will eventually be moved / planted out and replaced with a patio table and chairs

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,340
    In five years your Trachelospermum will have covered that fence and more.

Unless you want to go back to playing Sleeping Beauty I would leave it at that.😊
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,921
    I agree with pf that 1 TJ will soon cover both panels.
    Here's a pic of Julia Correvon growing through mine-

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks @Pete.8 - it's really helpful to see a pic of it full grown. How close did you plant the clematis to the TJ? 
  • Thanks @pansyface - I didn't realise! This is why I'm so hopeless - I seem to have no clue how things will turn out vs what they look like in my head!
    The TJ had been there for several years and I squeezed in JC about 2ft from the TJ.
    They were both in a fairly small raised bed. Unfortunately they had to go when my house was extended last year. But I now have a much bigger wall (15ft x 10) which I'm planning on covering with TJ and a clematis again in a few weeks.
  • Thank you @Pete.8 that's helpful to know. I think after the feedback I've got here I'm planning to leave the one TJ as it is for now and see what it does in the next couple of years. It's tempting to plant more as I want a quick display this summer but I don't fancy having to cut loads and loads back if I over plant it! Guess I'll just have to be patient  :)
    Good luck Gilla.
    I've grown TJ for many years and the only problem I've had is scale insect which have appears if the plants get stressed due to lack of water due to being in a smallish bed.
    Others in the garden have been ok.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,183
    Maybe this year some annual climbers ... Morning Glory https://search.thompson-morgan.com/seeds/Morning-Glory-Plants

Black Eyed Susan
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/915.shtml

or sweet peas or similar, could be used to fill the gap temporarily. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Just to add to Dove's list - Runner Beans - I grow them up a fence in my garden - fast growing - attractive big leaves - flowers and loads of runner beans!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,183
    Good idea @Pete.8 ... gotta love runner beans ... and sooooo easy 😎 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh