Forum home Problem solving

Early spring bulbs!

Hello all  :)
my spring bulbs are coming out early in my pots & I'm worried if we have a frost or snow shower they’ll be killed off! 
Should I be worried? 😬 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,554
    No.  This is the normal time of year for them to be in flower and they'll cope, as long as their pots don't get blown over in random storms.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thea2Thea2 Posts: 14
    Hi, it says March/April on the packets 😬 I’m in the UK.. 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,554
    It's been a mild winter and soil in pots warms up faster than soil in the ground so they start earlier.  They'll still be fine unless you get a biblical dump of snow or a sudden freeze below -15C or they get blown about and smashed.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thea2Thea2 Posts: 14
    Ok 👍🏻 Thankyou! 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,701
    "spring bulbs" is vague. Could you please be more specific ?
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    Is it worth supporting daffs and crocus with the storm about to hit on Sunday, or will they still snap against the support anyway?
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,532
    My new species tulips (planted in the ground) are growing away strongly and don’t look far off producing flower stems, which seems pretty early. However, no sign of the potted crocus or dwarf daffs. It’s been an unusually mild winter here too, so far. Some frost but nothing like the usual lows of -7/8.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,701
    @Tin pot I'm afraid there is nothing you can do against the elements. Just wait and see. ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    If they are March/April bulbs they may have been planted a bit too shallow. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,137
    I find that they flower when they should regardless of the weather, the early ones are now up, the later ones no sign as yet.   There’s some in full bloom in the village,  they always are at this time of the year whether we’ve been covered with snow or had a warm one. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.