Forum home Plants

Container planting

Hi all. The front of my house is north facing and I need some ideas for container planting with summer bedding maybe or summer flowering plants that will brighten up the front of the house. Any ideas anyone? 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,152
    Fuchsias do well in shade and so, if you like them, do impatiens/busy-lizzies and begonias.   Pansies will be fine too.

You could add extra texture with foliage - ferns, hostas, tiarella, heuchera, variegated ivy.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Nicotiana will be happy there too, tall and dwarf forms available,  fairly easy from seed.
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 29,152
    I know that's supposed to do well @Buttercupdays but could never get it to grow in pots or the ground on the north side of our last house.  I shall try it again here tho in case it was as much the soil as the location.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The front of our house faces due North, cool and no sun at all. Nicos were my go-to favourites for a number of years when I did tubs regularly and I've already ordered seed so I can grow some again this year. :)
  • Thanks everyone for those ideas, I hope to have some colourful pots this summer.🌸
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 52,165
    I know Sedum spectabilis [I've forgotten it's new name] usually loves a sunny location, but I grow them in my front garden which is north west facing. It gets a tiny bit of sun late in the day, and only in summer. Might be worth trying a bit for an accent in shape and height, if nothing else.
    If you already have one, they're easy to propagate from little cuttings too, which would save buying one.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...