Hydrangea seemanii (climbing hydrangea) getting too much sun

clarehnzclarehnz New Zealand (North Island)Posts: 10
I have planted this climbing hydrangea planted a fence. However, it's getting much more afternoon sun than I expected and the leaves are getting scorched. It's only been in for the one season. Should I move it to a shadier spot (but with less room for it to spread) before the roots get more established, or is it likely to tolerate the sun better as it matures? Your thoughts much appreciated please.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,386
    edited 6 February
    If I remember correctly you’re in New Zealand?

It’s not a plant I've grown but I’ve a memory of @nutcutlet having grown it ... hopefully she’ll see this 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• clarehnzclarehnz New Zealand (North Island)Posts: 10
    Yes, I'm in NZ so planted it in Oct at the very start of spring and it's now mid-summer and is growing very well. Just getting scorched by sun between mid-day and 4pm.

OP should read "I have planted this climbing hydrangea against a fence."
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 554
    We planted a Hydrangea petiolaris in a pot last Summer, but it was getting too much afternoon sun, and like yours it was getting scorched.  We moved the pot to a more shady area, and watered it more, and it has flourished.  It's in a less ideal spot, as we originally placed it to soften up a bare brick wall, but better IMO, to put a plant where it's happy than where we would like it to be.  They take well from cuttings, why not take a few and try both the sunny and shadier locations.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087
    I have had two climbing hydrangeas since moving here. The first was  the deciduous one that used to be called H. petiolaris, I think its name has extended now. That died in hard soil and probably too much sun after a tree came down. The other is evergreen and may be seemanii but came to me with a cultivar name that I've forgotten. This grows very well in full shade but after at least 6 years is still not clinging hard enough to hang on through winter gales so hasn't got very far.
    The H. petiolaris I had on a North wall in my last garden was wonderful
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,371
    If I remember correctly you’re in New Zealand? [...]

May I say it would save lots of speculating and make answering questions much easier if members of the forum would kindly fill in their location details in their profile. ;) An exact location is not needed (for privacy's sake) but at least country or part of country would help.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • I've found H. pet never liked a south facing position even in SW UK - much preferred East or North facing.
  • Hi Clare I moved one of mine a few years ago for the same reason, it was around 2 years old and I moved it against the garage wall which gets sun late afternoon.  It doesn't give as many flowers as I would like but seems otherwise really happy.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,862
    Mine is nearly two meters high and not yet self clinging. Is that odd?
  • Depends what it has to cling on to and how far away the support is I think......walls are easier than fences sometimes.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,614
    I delivered to a house today which had one of these on the wall. I've never seen one before. What a FAB specimen it was.
    Devon.