Forum home Problem solving

Help with moss growing on bark of an acre tree

Can anyone suggest how I can get rid of moss which is growing on the bark of our large (and beautiful)acre tree. I don’t want to scrape it off in case I damage the bark and introduce any more unwanted damage. It’s been suggested I try Jeyes fluid but I’m not sure. Would appreciate any suggestions.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,555
    Definitely no chemicals, especially Jeyes fluid!!

It's probably a result of this very wet winter and maybe also poor air circulation and, maybe, poor vigour in your tree.   It may reduce or clear up on its won when the drier weather comes and you may want to consider giving your tree a generous dollop of well-rotted manure round the base of the trunk in a month or two.  

If you find the moss unsightly then just blast it with a jet from the hosepipe - not a pressure washer as that will damage the bark.

Have a read of this info from the RHS - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=411 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999
    Mosses , Lichens and Liverworts etc......all part of a complex and natural environment .
    Why would you want to remove it from the tree?