Forum home The potting shed

Reasons to be cheerful - 2020

•  @Hostafan It's a pity Launceston is a little too far away from me, a good hour away at least.
    Sarah Bernhardt is a great peony. I grow one just for cut flowers because it smells lovely in the house. It's a good thing it divided so easily for you.

You weren't tempted by the agapanthus roots they had, or have you already got the varieties they were selling? I'm already wondering what new agapanthus l will find this year locally. I quite like the look of Fireworks and Double Diamond.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,231
    lilysilly said:

You weren't tempted by the agapanthus roots they had, or have you already got the varieties they were selling? I'm already wondering what new agapanthus l will find this year locally. I quite like the look of Fireworks and Double Diamond.

The agapanthus chunks were as good as the paeonias, cheaper too, but not different enough from those I already have. 
    I might pop down tomorrow and have a second look though. ;)
    Devon.
  • Definitely worth a second look I reckon. They might have had a delivery of new stock for the weekend trade.😉
    I adore my collection of agapanthus. Each variety different to another, subtly or greatly. Black stemmed, green stemmed, dark flowered, two tone, starry flowers, striped petals, reflexed petals, lilac, purple, sky blue, navy blue, giant flowered, pure white. 
    I checked all of mine earlier, happy to see them all starting to shoot. 
    lilysilly said:
    Definitely worth a second look I reckon. They might have had a delivery of new stock for the weekend trade.😉
    I adore my collection of agapanthus. Each variety different to another, subtly or greatly. Black stemmed, green stemmed, dark flowered, two tone, starry flowers, striped petals, reflexed petals, lilac, purple, sky blue, navy blue, giant flowered, pure white. 
    I checked all of mine earlier, happy to see them all starting to shoot. 
    I've got all my evergreens in the polytunnel. I think there are 3 or 4 in flower now
    Devon.
  • My evergreen agapanthus have to chance it outside tucked against the wall. I only bring them in if we have severe cold/ snow. I'm lucky to have a south facing garden.
    I've just removed about 30 baby snails from my Queen Mums, little s#ds are about early this year. 
    I think I've got about 70 in the tunnel, agapanthus, not snails. 
    Devon.
  • Gosh that's a lot of agapanthus! How many different varieties have you collected over the years?
    They must be a very beautiful sight come July. 
    I planted out about 30-40 deciduous varieties last year I suppose 60 odd different varieties ?
    Devon.
  • That's a lovely display you have there @Hostafan1.
    Sixty odd varieties of agapanthus is impressive. I have only about fifteen but my garden is small.  
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,291
    @Hostafan1 - Wow!