Forum home The potting shed

Reasons to be cheerful - 2020

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,291
    Forgive my ignorance as never had oil but don't these oil tanks have gauges or something on them so you can tell how much is left?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,777
    No Lizzie, we dip a stick in every 3 months in the winter,   some do have a gauge, we had one that plugged into a socket, but they’re not very accurate and as we get a discount for over so many litres we fly near to the edge,  we knew it was low, just forgot!  Still it was only half a day. All warm now.  We won’t need anymore till almost autumn  now, it’s very economical. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Lizzie27 said:
    Forgive my ignorance as never had oil but don't these oil tanks have gauges or something on them so you can tell how much is left?

Most of the modern ones have a simple gauge but some of the newer ones have the electronic thingies @Lizzie27.  We have one of the latter here for the first time.  It's handy enough provided you don't then unplug it to use the socket for something else, forget to plug it back in and then completely forget you had it in the first place .  
    @Lyn and a stick is a good backup I think :D
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,291
    Thanks Lyn and Phillipa. You learn something new every day!
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,597
    I wear shorts every day and the things peole usually say are.

1. Arent you cold ?

No if I was cold I would wear trousers

2. Arent you brave

No.  Brave is when someone who cant swim dives into the sea to save another persons dog.

3.You are making me feel cold.

Sorry about that but only you can control how you feel.

I carry the above around on a card and after years of having to answer these stupid questions at least once a day I just show them the card and wander off.

I am aslo 6 foot 4 tall but thank fully " Ooohh arent you tall " has fallen out of favour lately. It was fashionable up to about 2005.

My friend Dave who is over 6 foot with a massive beard usually gets " Ooohh youve got a big beard "

Some people just dont think before speaking

I am a very tolerant and helpful person and this is the only thing in life that really annoys me.

Where I live if two Short Wearers meet we raise our hands and say "All Hail The Shorts "
    which causes much laughter.
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,492
    My son is tallish, broad, built like a brick sh*t house as they say around here, has a big beard and wears shorts ... most people don’t dare say much unless they know him  ... he looks like an angry bear ... although of course he’s really a big softy 😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,231
    edited February 2020
    NewBoy2 said:

2. Arent you brave

No.  Brave is when someone who cant swim dives into the sea to save another persons dog.

I don't think that's brave, I think it's foolhardy. 

My reason to be cheerful is a trip to the garden centre:

The paeonia was £8.99. Bargain. The question is, do I split it , or leave one massive clump?
    Devon.
  • Cor, @Hostafan1 ,which garden centre down here sells peony roots like that? What variety is it? I would be wanting to halve that clump at least.
  • G/H arrived today...........downside is that it is blowing a gale and P'ing down.....could be a long job.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,231
    lilysilly said:
    Cor, @Hostafan1 ,which garden centre down here sells peony roots like that? What variety is it? I would be wanting to halve that clump at least.
    Homeleigh , Launceston. I very gently wiggled it an it came into two , still very large, chunks without any breakages. 
    Sarah Bernhardt is the variety . They also had big chunk of bare root agapanthus .
    Devon.