Forum home Wildlife gardening

Kestrel taking shelter at the wrong hotel.

Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,713
edited February 2020 in Wildlife gardening
It was very windy yesterday so this Kestrel decided to take shelter at the owl hotel within our garden.

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,849
    Offical AirBnB
    Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,554
    Do you get owls in there?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • dave125dave125 Posts: 178
    As well as Owls, that's a perfect nesting site for a pair of kestrels. Also potentially Jackdaws and Stock Doves.
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,735
    Owl long did it stay there? 🥴
  • Owl long - roughly 2 hours, and no he didn't pay - in fact last time "it" came (could have been one of this Kestrels cousins) he ate the residents - how rude was that!  Last year pigeons made their nest in this owl box and a kestrel ate the chicks. I wonder what activity we will see this year - if any.  A Barn owl used the box for a few years but we haven't seen one for at least 3 years now.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    A good use for pigeons.
  • Not this time Phillippa - enjoying your sense of humour. The sacrificial pigeon chicks were worth the sight of the Kestrel, although some may find it disturbing. In fact a Kestrel killed an adult pig a few weeks ago - even the cat wasn't interested in the carcass - with very little meat left on it. What a yucky subject. Sorry to anyone eating their supper.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,148
    Adult pig 🐖 ?!😱

🤔... guinea pig / cavy ?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,618
    That threw me too, the world's most powerful kestrel! I guess the dreaded autocorrect has changed it from pigeon to pig.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    That would be one angry kestral.