Forum home Tools and techniques

Greenhouse Glass

We have lost about five panes of glass from our greenhouse in the recent windy weather.  Before we replace the panes I wondered whether we should replace the glass with some sort of poly type plastic panes.  I believe you can buy a ribbed type which can be cut to size easily.  Any ideas as to where the best place is to get something like this?

• KiliKili Posts: 439

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,787
    Make sure that any replacement is the correct thickness for the clips that hold it onto the frame.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,173
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,881
    I've used similar 4mm twinwall polycarbonate sheeting to that in Pete.8's link which works quite well, if your clips can cope with that thickness, as pansyface mentions.  Safety glass probably better (but far more expensive) on a windy site though as the weight helps keep them in place.  If you do use clear/polycarb sheeting, you can make the panes less likely to blow out by running a bead of clear silicone sealant around the frame before fixing the pane in place with the clips.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks guys, I shall check this out and see what I can do.
  • I had a similar problem with my own greenhouse with high winds taking a few panes out. They were well clipped in but still got dislodged. I got them replaced from a local glazing company who suggested I apply a bead of glazing sealant around the frames before refitting the new glass panels.i did this to all of the roof glazing and in 6 years I have never lost any further roof glazing