Forum home Problem solving

Camellia balling

I have a Camellia Japonica which was not flowering in too small a pot, so last year I transferred it into the ground around June. As my soil is alkaline, I built a raised bed about 30cm deep and at least a metre wide, then filled it entirely with ericaceous compost, also working this into the soil below. All winter it has been producing plump green buds which then turn black and fail to open. We haven't had a particularly wet or frosty time here in the Midlands, so I'm not sure why this is happening. Would poor root conditions cause this e.g. if the depth of ericaceous soil isn't enough? Is it just stressed from the early Summer move? Any other rectifiable reason? 

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,462
    Buds dropping off is usually a problem with the soil being too dry during bud initiation the previous summer.  Next summer give it a bucket of water each week , with some ericaceous feed such as miracle gro for acid lovers (Pink topped packet)
  • ErashaErasha Posts: 52
    Thank you. Sounds like that was my error, I definitely didn't water it adequately in the Summer.  I hadn't realised this would allow buds to form only to then drop, I thought it would stop them forming in the first place. So I thought I'd gotten away with it, but clearly not! Won't make the same mistake this year, especially as I've finally fitted  ba water butt. Thank you for solving my mystery