Frog Spawn

LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,254
Anyone got any yet, our pond’s covered, heard them for the passed couple of nights. They do this every year then the pond gets iced and a lot of it dies.  Every year we’re out there collecting it in buckets and keeping it in the GH.
Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,049
    Haven't seen any yet or heard the frogs but as my fish seem to eat it all I will be taking some to the allotment to hopefully hatch in my sunk sink, that is if the silicon has sealed the plug hole.
  • Lots of activity and singing but no spawn. I’m hoping they hold off, we are bound to get a cold snap. My husband made a cover out of trellis and bubble wrap last year, we would lay it over the spawn when it got really cold to try and protect it.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,254
    We try to cover it as well, but try and get most inside, how silly are they. Don’t they know by now winter hasn’t start s here yet.😀
    We had snow and ice earlier in the week, one warm day and they’re laying. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,657
    I've seen a couple of frogs/ toads ( Not sure which ) but no spawn
    Devon.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 1,745
    My garden is heaving with toads making for the pond, I have never seen so many. I'm concerned too, because we are bound to have some cold weather before spring arrives. There isn't much you can do, though I am very impressed by your noble efforts, Lyn.
  • matt_fendermatt_fender Posts: 153
    Found our first blob of spawn this morning, which means it is also the very first time we have spawn in our pond! Pond was dug last winter, so this time last year it was looking pretty bare and we didn't get any spawn of our own, but we did put a small bit of spawn in from my mother in law's pond.

I am not sure if this is early or not for where we are (West Sussex):

we have some today. 
    Devon.
    We’ve got another lot today as well.  Much too early for here though, we haven’t started our cold spell yet. 

Our lot have laid it half out of the water. Methinks it may need some gentle re-positioning.
    Devon.
    It bulges up, it’s a beast to move, seems rooted to the plants.  I have a job to move it when I brought it into the GH.  I’ve now got some more in the overflow pond.