Forum home Garden design

Should I stain or paint boundary fence?

clarehnzclarehnz New Zealand (North Island)Posts: 10
Hi. We had a new fence put up between our house and the neighbour's 6 months ago. We are currently planning to let it weather naturally to a natural silver grey colour. However, some members of our residents' association are pushing for us to paint or stain it. If they make us stain it we'd want to use a silver grey semi transparent stain (to get the grey look we're after!) but the neighbour may prefer to paint their side to tie in with the house colour. Ours is the house on the left in the photo. We have now planted climbers on our side of the fence (roses, climbing hydrangea and trachelospermum jasminoides). Your views would be much appreciated :smiley:

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,331
    Where in the world  are you?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,331
    Is the fence Pine which we need painting or preservative, or Cedar which will weather naturally to silver grey?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • clarehnzclarehnz New Zealand (North Island)Posts: 10
    We're in NZ.
    The fence is treated pine. Here in NZ many people leave them unstained/unpainted and allow them to weather to silver-grey. We absolutely do not want to stain it brown of any shade.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,787
    Hello @clareholtnz - welcome to the Forum. I'm not sure where you are but why does the residents association want you to paint the fence? Are all the fences painted in your area?  Personally I prefer the unpainted  look - and am too lazy to paint fences!  I find it a pain because then you keep having to paint them. Also it's very difficult not to let the paint seep through to the neighbours side, so if they paint their side a different colour,  you could get streaks your side.  
    Hi Lizzie27. There are only a few fences in our area - they are discouraged, so we had to obtain permission for it. Some others are stained/painted and others are not. I believe some residents don't like the look of our fence and have requested it be stained/painted to make it look better and we are disputing the need to do that especially as we were told we didn't need to (long story). We think it will look better in the long term (especially when planting has grown) to be natural and discreet rather than painted and standing out.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,787
    Well, stand your ground then. If it's not in the estate regulations/planning permissions, then you don't need to do what other people want you to (your neighbour?....)
    That's what we're doing, but it makes for uncomfortable relations. The immediate neighbour is happy with the fence as it is and was pleased when we suggested it.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,235
    Hello Clare,
    If you're happy with it, and your immediate neighbour is also happy, l would leave it. 
    As you say, it will fade in time and any planting will soften it.
    If any of the other neighbours complain directly to you rather than hiding behind the residents association, smile politely and just tell them that. Keep it pleasant and polite and stay firm.
    Hopefully they will soon find something else to complain about and in 12 months time (if that), they probably won't even notice it. It's a neat and tidy job.
     :) 
    Thanks, guys. Just wanting to check whether we were being unreasonable. I keep thinking it's been forgotten about/accepted and then someone brings it up again!