Forum home Problem solving

My bamboo on neighbours side

2»

• KT53KT53 Posts: 5,231
    No you can't cut down plants in your neighbour's garden irrespective of where they have come from.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,089
    l.hore110 said:
    Hi I have bamboo that I planted years ago after being told it was a clump former and not a spreader [...]

Never ever believe those who tell you a bamboo is not a spreader. All bamboos spread, sooner or later.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,235
    Having spent 2 seasons digging out an inherited bamboo which had spread to an area of about 4m x 2m and gone under the fence and lifted the neighbour's paving slabs - I would never ever plant a bamboo anywhere other than in a bunded container.

And don't believe it when people talk about them being 'shallow rooted' either. Maybe they are compared to some shrubs and trees, but mine went about 2' deep in places.

Either talk to the neighbours and try to persuade them to get rid - or be ready with the glyphosate for your side of the fence. If it causes a little die back on their side too - c'est la vie. It won't kill it on their side but should stop an invasion on yours.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,089
    Topbird said:
    [...] If it causes a little die back on their side too - c'est la vie. [...]

Well, actually, no, "c'est la mort". :(
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,262
    Or c'est la guerre
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • SlaterSlater Posts: 11
    Thank you for all your replies, duly noted and taken on board, will try and talk to the neighbours to see if I can shorten them a bit, but it's a bit like they overhang into my garden so I may be able to shorten them a bit when they lean over my side and give them the cuttings back 🤔
    Cheers An Gon
    Papi Jo said:
    l.hore110 said:
    Hi I have bamboo that I planted years ago after being told it was a clump former and not a spreader [...]

Never ever believe those who tell you a bamboo is not a spreader. All bamboos spread, sooner or later.

Clearly 'later' in some instances.  We have a fargesia bamboo which is still in a tight clump after nearly 30 years.  The clump is getting bigger but I haven't seen a single runner from it.
    l.hore110 said:
    Thank you for all your replies, duly noted and taken on board, will try and talk to the neighbours to see if I can shorten them a bit, but it's a bit like they overhang into my garden so I may be able to shorten them a bit when they lean over my side and give them the cuttings back 🤔

Don't start the conversation about giving cuttings back!  You can't just give them back, they can be offered but the proposed recipient can decline to take them.