Forum home Problem solving

My bamboo on neighbours side

Hi I have bamboo that I planted years ago after being told it was a clump former and not a spreader, it has now gone to the other side of my fence into the neighbours garden, I only have a low fence, I have scut back all the bamboo on my side and been digging it up to eradicate it but the trouble is my neighbour likes it growing their side. Can I cut this down or reduce the height of it, its quite literally easy to cut and manage from my side as the fence is very low and a bar style fence. The bamboo on their side is shading my greenhouse and pond. I can't use a weedkiller on it as its very close to the pond. Any suggestions gratefully received 
Cheers An Gon

• SlaterSlater Posts: 11
    That's what I was thinking, but even if I couldn't get rid of it on their side maybe I could shorten it a bit so they didn't notice to much, their garden is a mess and they don't even go up to the top of the garden where it is growing 
    Cheers An Gon
    Yes your right, they will 
    Cheers An Gon
    They are not that great a neighbour really but the bamboo is well over 10ft tall 
    Cheers An Gon
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,850
    Maybe once the bamboo shows its true nature on their side of the fence they’ll change their opinion of it 🤔 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    once its on their side of the fence its their 'problem', you can remove it from your garden, but not theirs - no matter how much you might want to (much like a neighbours large tree that shades your garden).
    The only major problem I can see is it coming back under the fence.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 8,946
    No you can't cut down plants in your neighbour's garden irrespective of where they have come from.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,207
    l.hore110 said:
    Hi I have bamboo that I planted years ago after being told it was a clump former and not a spreader [...]

Never ever believe those who tell you a bamboo is not a spreader. All bamboos spread, sooner or later.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,329
    Having spent 2 seasons digging out an inherited bamboo which had spread to an area of about 4m x 2m and gone under the fence and lifted the neighbour's paving slabs - I would never ever plant a bamboo anywhere other than in a bunded container.

And don't believe it when people talk about them being 'shallow rooted' either. Maybe they are compared to some shrubs and trees, but mine went about 2' deep in places.

Either talk to the neighbours and try to persuade them to get rid - or be ready with the glyphosate for your side of the fence. If it causes a little die back on their side too - c'est la vie. It won't kill it on their side but should stop an invasion on yours.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,207
    Topbird said:
    [...] If it causes a little die back on their side too - c'est la vie. [...]

Well, actually, no, "c'est la mort". :(
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,297
    Or c'est la guerre
    In London. Keen but lazy.