Forum home Problem solving

My bamboo on neighbours side

Hi I have bamboo that I planted years ago after being told it was a clump former and not a spreader, it has now gone to the other side of my fence into the neighbours garden, I only have a low fence, I have scut back all the bamboo on my side and been digging it up to eradicate it but the trouble is my neighbour likes it growing their side. Can I cut this down or reduce the height of it, its quite literally easy to cut and manage from my side as the fence is very low and a bar style fence. The bamboo on their side is shading my greenhouse and pond. I can't use a weedkiller on it as its very close to the pond. Any suggestions gratefully received 
Cheers An Gon

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,817
    edited January 2020
    That’s a bit of a tricky one.😊 I suppose really, the bamboo that is growing in your neighbour’s garden belongs to your neighbour. It is living in your neighbour’s property and deriving nutrition from your neighbour’s soil. Now that it has set up home there, I suppose you can’t really interfere with it as it’s not your bamboo any longer.

A similar thing has happened to a neighbour of mine. He has a beautiful plum tree, an unknown variety, that arrived in his garden some years ago as a sucker from wasteland next door. A self seeded tree had grown up there and spread into his garden.  The original tree was demolished when the owner of the wasteland decided to tidy it up 🙄 but my friend was happy that “his” plum tree had survived because it was on his side of the fence.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • SlaterSlater Posts: 11
    That's what I was thinking, but even if I couldn't get rid of it on their side maybe I could shorten it a bit so they didn't notice to much, their garden is a mess and they don't even go up to the top of the garden where it is growing 
    Cheers An Gon
    But you say that your neighbour likes it growing there.

Your neighbour may not appear to notice much about what is in his/her garden, but never underestimate the amount that a neighbour notices, particularly when it comes to other people “shortening” things.👓👓👓👓👓
    Yes your right, they will 
    Cheers An Gon
    So I suppose the question is: which is more important to you, a cordial relationship with an easy going neighbour or a pond and greenhouse with a little added sunlight on days when the sun shines?
    They are not that great a neighbour really but the bamboo is well over 10ft tall 
    Cheers An Gon
    Your call.🤞
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,487
    Maybe once the bamboo shows its true nature on their side of the fence they’ll change their opinion of it 🤔 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    once its on their side of the fence its their 'problem', you can remove it from your garden, but not theirs - no matter how much you might want to (much like a neighbours large tree that shades your garden).
    The only major problem I can see is it coming back under the fence.
    To stop it coming back, you could install the stuff that botanical gardens use. It’s a sort of plastic strip, not unlike that used for damp proof courses. It’s about a foot wide by however long and can be bought in places such as Wickes, Screwfix etc.