Forum home Problem solving

Sarcococca issue

Hi
I have a sarcococca in a pot which is not ĺooking well, the leaves are more yellow than the dark green and has never flowered properly since i planted it.
Any advice would be appreciated. 
Cheers kevin. 

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 5,823
    I would say it is starving, how long has it been in that pot? I would lift it out tease away as much soil/ compost as you can & re-pot with fresh soil based compost such as JI3. A good dose of foliar feed with liquid seaweed would help too.
    AB Still learning

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    I agree with Allotment Boy's comments, and also ask what location have you had the pot. Has it been in too much sun?I have found Sarcococca prefer a dappled shade aspect. 
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,701
    Sarcococca feels better in shade and in the ground, not in a pot.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850
    I had a couple go yellow and they'd only been potted a short time to pass on to a friend. I think they like good drainage, I may have over-watered mine because of the other plants that were near

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,184
    edited January 2020
    I have a hookeriana “Purple Stem” which lives in a sunny SSW facing corner with no more than a foot depth of dry, poor soil. I do throw the odd bucket of liquid food over it now and then.

Here it is just now, about a metre tall.

It’s a plant that likes to send up suckers. Maybe it’s feeling held back in life.  I’d take those stones off the soil, give it some food, sit back and wait. 
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Mine has something like leaf curl; any advice?
  • LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,966
    Agree with Allotment Boy and also the comments about shade. The foliar feed should be OK but be careful with fertiliser, as that can cause problems as it builds up in compost. As an aside, it's interesting how sick plants look the same as purposefully bred and marketed 'golden leaved' forms!
  • Hi @lizabray, you would be better starting a new thread of your own, called something like sarcococca leaf curl, and post some photos (use the icon above that looks like a postcard with mountains on it). I think that way, you will get advice that is specifically targeted to your problem.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,965
    I've replied on the other thread @lizabray - you need a photo :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....