Forum home Plants

Anyone from Durham?

Sandra ASandra A Posts: 144
Hello, since I am on a very tight budget, and after a very difficult year with serious health issues, I have decided to get as many plants I could, from seeds and cuttings, garden and indoors. Although it is easy to get and/or exchange some seeds, cuttings is very different because so many people are afraid of taking them. I wonder if anyone from this forum lives in Durham and is available to get me some cuttings of indoor and outdoor plants. I would be really grateful.

• Sandra ASandra A Posts: 144
    pansyface said:
    No,I don’t live near Durham, but perhaps there is a plant exchange scheme near you.

I know that there is quite an active one in Sheffield where people go and swap stuff or, if the have nothing to swap, just donate a pound towards the scheme and take a plant home with them.
    No, there is nothing here, even Freegle and Freecycle did not give anything, I am afraid. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,448
    It's possible your local Freecycle group may be able to help. You could try a request on there  :)
    AnniD said:
    It's possible your local Freecycle group may be able to help. You could try a request on there  :)
    Hi, already tried, that and Freegle as-well
    pansyface said:
    Have you tried these people?

I didn’t want to get involved with signing up and giving them my email address to find out more.

https://www.greenplantswap.co.uk/growers/towns/durham

Hey, that is great, let me take a look, maybe there is someone nearby, thanks pansyface!
  • BenCottoBenCotto Posts: 4,665
    Look at nextdoor.co.uk

If it is active in your neighbourhood you can put your request there.

And do you have a neighbourhood Facebook page? On our village one we advertise and give away unwanted plants to other village members.
    Rutland, England
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,800
    It maybe that Freecycle, Freegle etc will have more gardening stuff when spring arrives 😊 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

BenCotto said:
    Look at nextdoor.co.uk

If it is active in your neighbourhood you can put your request there.

And do you have a neighbourhood Facebook page? On our village one we advertise and give away unwanted plants to other village members.
    Thanks, BenCotto, I will check out this, I know that there are no facebook pages around here,, there is Freegle and Freecycle, but I got '0' replies to my request for cuttings  :(
    It maybe that Freecycle, Freegle etc will have more gardening stuff when spring arrives 😊 
    One can only hope, my friend... I miss Norwich, we always had great local swap/give there
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 789
    Hello..I live and garden quite close by in Washington, I'm a keen over enthusiastic gardener and hate to throw anything away. I'm having quite intensive medical treatment currently but thinking about Spring and gardening is really helping me. My husband and I are making ourselves simplify our garden and rather like a New Years resolution I'm saying to myself no propagating which I enjoy so much....  so happy to help it will give me an excuse. if I'm taking cuttings or lifting and splitting later in the year I'll send you a message. Mind you there's nothing special. I helped stock a garden for a new novice gardener who's my friends daughter. Mind you that's when I had bend and energy last year😄 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,530
    I have a little plant called Sicilian chamomile, Anthemis punctata, which is really easy to grow from cuttings.  It's evergreen, pretty aromatic foliage, cheerful daisy flowers and tolerates anything but shade.  I'll be happy to pop a few sprigs in the post.