Forum home Garden design

Geoff Hamilton inspiring

I have just discovered the late Geoff Hamilton via dvd - what an inspiring and creative person/gardener so much better than Monty Don who is always so miserable 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,768
    He is and was an inspiration who managed to communicate the joys of plants and gardening in very practical ways.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,109
    I loved Geoff Hamilton, he was the best.
    I don't think Monty is always miserable, it's just the shape of his mouth that he was born with that happens to turn down at the corners and he has a soporific voice which I'm afraid lulls me to sleep!
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,167
    He appeared on TV just as I was old enough to be interested in gardening. 
    Inspirational indeed.
    Devon.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    Adam Frost trained with Geoff at Barnsdale, I think it comes across in his presenting style
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,265
    I love his gardens at Barnsdale which are now managed by his son Nick. If you ever get the chance, do go and see them, they are well worth a visit. About 37 individual, smallish gardens with a variety of styles - absolutely teeming with birds, butterflies and other insects.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 925
    We watched Barnsdale being developed on TV, it was a joy, Geoff was a one of, his communication skills were wonderful, did have most of it on video, but afraid lost now, the videos deteriorated before they could be transferred to DVD.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054
    Geoff was a one off to be sure.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,595
    Geoff Hamilton was a gardener who just happened to end up presenting gardening shows on TV.  Monty isn't a professional gardener and has never, to the best of my knowledge, claimed to be.  Of the two, I would much rather be watching Geoff Hamilton but that's not possible if you want to watch current developments.
  • KT53 said:
    Geoff Hamilton was a gardener who just happened to end up presenting gardening shows on TV.  Monty isn't a professional gardener and has never, to the best of my knowledge, claimed to be.  Of the two, I would much rather be watching Geoff Hamilton but that's not possible if you want to watch current developments.
    Not sure even in this day and age with celeb culture that you just "happen to end up ..."
    GH had the knowhow and good presentational skills needed to keep audience figures up to scratch for a number if years.
    He was very basic ( for want of a better term) and appealed to the gardening enthusiasts of that time.
    I haven't watched much of Monty Don but from what I have seen, he strikes me as a well meaning amateur gardener rather than the likes of GH ( or even Alan T. when he isn't doing sob story makeovers ) who have solid gardening backgrounds.
    Each to their own tho - I can't stand some of the nature/countryside presenters because they sound like 10 year old children but other people love them. 
  • helenbowmerhelenbowmer Posts: 5
    edited January 2020
    Geoff Hamilton was so practical and had a very positive approach - I am in no doubt that Monty has the knowledge and skills but he seems a bit world weary when he’s presenting GW - I do like his series Italian, French and American Gardens though