Forum home Garden design

Geoff Hamilton inspiring

I have just discovered the late Geoff Hamilton via dvd - what an inspiring and creative person/gardener so much better than Monty Don who is always so miserable 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,361
    He is and was an inspiration who managed to communicate the joys of plants and gardening in very practical ways.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,072
    I loved Geoff Hamilton, he was the best.
    I don't think Monty is always miserable, it's just the shape of his mouth that he was born with that happens to turn down at the corners and he has a soporific voice which I'm afraid lulls me to sleep!
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,137
    He appeared on TV just as I was old enough to be interested in gardening. 
    Inspirational indeed.
    Devon.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    Adam Frost trained with Geoff at Barnsdale, I think it comes across in his presenting style
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,356
    I love his gardens at Barnsdale which are now managed by his son Nick. If you ever get the chance, do go and see them, they are well worth a visit. About 37 individual, smallish gardens with a variety of styles - absolutely teeming with birds, butterflies and other insects.
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 943
    We watched Barnsdale being developed on TV, it was a joy, Geoff was a one of, his communication skills were wonderful, did have most of it on video, but afraid lost now, the videos deteriorated before they could be transferred to DVD.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,105
    Geoff was a one off to be sure.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,117
    Geoff Hamilton was a gardener who just happened to end up presenting gardening shows on TV.  Monty isn't a professional gardener and has never, to the best of my knowledge, claimed to be.  Of the two, I would much rather be watching Geoff Hamilton but that's not possible if you want to watch current developments.
  • helenbowmerhelenbowmer Posts: 5
    edited January 2020
    Geoff Hamilton was so practical and had a very positive approach - I am in no doubt that Monty has the knowledge and skills but he seems a bit world weary when he’s presenting GW - I do like his series Italian, French and American Gardens though
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,117
    I do like Monty's foreign garden series.  I just wish he would stop getting dressed in the dark, at least that's the only explanation I can come up with for his attire.