Forum home Garden design

sheila cartwright

Hello all - for a July wedding, I have to plant a border along a west facing 140' old brick wall about 10' high.  I thought that sweet peas climbing up jute netting would make an easy and colourful display, interspersed with climbing roses then perhaps some lavendula and cineraria along the front.  Once the wedding is over, I can plant some other perennials.  Any feedback and ideas will be extremely welcome.

• Oooops - forgot to add that it's only a metre wide!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,166
    How deep is the border?  Certainly climbers along the wall, you will need to get sweet peas in now to be in full flush in July.  Annual beddding plants can fill up the front. What is your colour scheme?
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,072
    Do you mean the bed along the wall is 140 feet wide and 1 metre deep? For a quick burst of colour annuals would be good, depending on your colour scheme interspersed with perennials that flower in July. Then in future years you can replace the annuals by perennials that flower over a longer season.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Yes, sorry.  The wall is 140 feet long and one metre wide!

• I'm planting the sweet peas in root trainers now.  I like the pinks and blues, whites with the lavendula being deeper purple but the roses will be pink and white.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,166
    edited January 2020
    Just bear in mind that "Blue" sweet peas are generally more purple.  I would plant more to the pink end of the range. They will still go with lavender
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Yes thanks.  It's a west facing wall.