Forum home Problem solving

Kilmarnock Willow

Hi I am not a big gardener by any means. I have had a kilmarnock willow over the last 7 years . It have sprouted enormous shoot from the base which I left intrigued , but the shoot is now enormous and looks like it is forming a new tree with 2 trunks and branches as high as 20 feet. 

Has anybody had this before and what will I end up with?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,229
    It sounds to me like your root stock has sprouted and all the energy will end up in the rogue shoots and the Kilmarnock graft will die.  In my experience, Kilmarnock willows are short lived anyway and prone to sudden death - friends' and one I received as a gift.

The larger growth will suck up huge amounts of water and nutrients from the surrounding soil so I would cut your losses and dig it out pronto and then replenish the soil and plant something more interesting and attractive.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,873
    Most Kilmarnock willows have been grafted onto a larger growing type of Salix ... something similar to Salix caprea the Goat Willow.  Whilst great for wildlife, unless you have a large property of several acres it’ll be way too big for you ... and it’ll totally take over the Kilmarnock ... I would cut out the sucker at the base ... the Kilmarnock may recover, with a bit of tlc. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,873
    Ah ... @Obelixx has explained ... I got sidetracked by a phone call before I pressed send. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Not a tree I would plant again as the two I had both got top heavy and keeled over,as you say,a sudden death.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.