Forum home The potting shed

Starbucks doing something right

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,563
    I like my coffee plain and black tho if I know it's a proper one I do like a good cappuccino now and then.   On the few occasions I do visit London I have to find a Café Nero or go to Pain Quotidien (Belgian chain) to be sure to get good coffee.

I remember a trip up the Mwhatever to go to Tatton in 2007 with a fellow forum member whom I picked up from Brighton.  We stopped at a Costa services and she had to interpret the coffee menu for me.  Nevertheless it was like dishwater in far too large a paper cup.  Never again.  At that time there was neither Costa nor Starbucks in Belgium.

I suspect a lot of the posers carrying coffee on the hoof have not taken the time to make a proper coffee before leaving home for their commute and have lousy communal coffee machines at work.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,338
    If you've ever seen " Eat well for less", one of the regular tips is to save money by taking a flask of coffee to work, instead of Costa etc.
    "You could save X amount per year". Cue stunned expressions 🙄
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,563
    Not exactly rocket science is it?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,631
     just a plain black filter coffee - they had no idea what I was talking about - something that simple was not on the menu :D

It needs a name. Noneofyourponcycrapaccino would work for me. Black, normal portion size, tastes of coffee, comes in a washable mug.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,776
    edited January 2020
  • KiliKili Posts: 487
    Hostafan1 said:
    Are these folk trying to say? , "I need a coffee , but I'm SOOOOOOOOO busy and SOOOOOOOOOO important I don't even have time to sit down and drink it."

We get folk discard empty cup on shelves in the shop. Too flippin' idle to find a bin. 
    Actually, yes some of us are busy and don't have time to sit down and drink it. In my case I always grab the free coffee at Waitrose. I have to use that supermarket as there's no other in my location and when shopping I can get a free coffee.
    Its not that I think I'm important but because I get a 30 minute lunch break which is usually a quick dash to waitrose to get the supplies as the wife is no longer able to manage that task so I always take my own reusable coffee mug ( sold at Waitrose 3 quid)  I've got 4 of the damn things now as just when you need it you've left it at home ( again). But the upside is that Waitrose have done away with thousands of tons of waste paper cups which they no longer supply.

I agree there are some lazy people, there's no excuse for dumping litter anywhere certainly not on a shelf in a shop.

Kili

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,638
    Well done you for shopping at Waitrose. Clearly you're a person of impeccable taste.
    Devon.
    Hostafan1 said:

Normally I can't wait to get the heck away from the shops and go home where I'm happy to make my own tea. ( for a lot less than £3a cup)
     :dizzy:  Lol.. that's you and me both I hate shopping cant wait to get out of the dam supermarkets but, alas I'm now forced to. No man of my age should have to do the shopping.
    I'm gonna trade the misses in for a younger fitter model so she can do the  ***** shopping :wink:

'The power of accurate observation .... is commonly called cynicism by those that have not got it.

George Bernard Shaw'

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,638
    Kili said:
    Hostafan1 said:

Normally I can't wait to get the heck away from the shops and go home where I'm happy to make my own tea. ( for a lot less than £3a cup)
     :dizzy:  Lol.. that's you and me both I hate shopping cant wait to get out of the dam supermarkets but, alas I'm now forced to. No man of my age should have to do the shopping.
    I'm gonna trade the misses in for a younger fitter model so she can do the  ***** shopping :wink:
    Waitrose deliver! lol 
    Devon.
    edited February 2020
    Hostafan1 said:
    Well done you for shopping at Waitrose. Clearly you're a person of impeccable taste.
    Hahha, I wish, got no choice where I live its either Waitrose or the CO-OP. The Waitrose store is 1 mile from my work place so I dash in there :)

George Bernard Shaw'