Forum home The potting shed

Starbucks doing something right

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,776
    edited January 2020
    I would use coffee logs if the were cheaper than wood. Having forced out our local cafes, our Starbucks has closed down. A caused for some celebration, but it would be better if they had never arrived. We just need Costa and Tesco's cafe to close and we'll be well on the way.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,631
    Fire said:
    our Starbucks has closed down. A caused for some celebration, but it would be better if they had never arrived.
    Quite. It's an unsustainable business model even with their attempts to make it better.

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,776
    WE, it was a conscious strategy, I believe, to surround small independent coffee shops with three SBs, drive the local cafes out of business and then close down two SBs once they have secured the business. We only had one SB locally, before it closed, so I assume the margins were too small re the high rent. Now we have a three-store-front Holland and Barrett waiting to snap up the space, taking on our two small health shops next door. Our local ones have been there since 1974 so I hope they can hold on. Tough times for small shops.
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054
    It must be a substitute for smoking, Inspector Maigret couldn't have done the business without puffing on his pipe.
    I've also noticed how often various dramas, soaps, etc. now depict their characters clutching Costa/Starbucks or whoever's coffee in their mitts - apparently no problem can be sorted or a crime solved without it. If you watch closely enough ( sad I know ! )  the characters take a sip but they rarely actually swallow the stuff.  I suspect the "out takes " would show them spitting the stuff out ;)  
    Even Game of Thrones 'accidentally' left a coffee cup in one of their shows.

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,923
    edited January 2020
    Seems to me that walking around with a styrene/plastic cup of coffee in your hand is as much a fad as those who clutch little bottles of water.

Some people have to carry bottles of water around, for medical reasons
    edited January 2020
    I assume tap water is just as medicinal though. If anyone thinks they need Smart Water™ to survive then they're probably not as smart as the water.

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,923
    When your taste buds and salivary glands have been damaged by radiotherapy tap water, ( among other things), taste strange. In my case tap water, flavoured water and any ice cream except vanilla taste of soap.
  • It's a bit rude to say walking around with a cuppa is a fad... it's nice, a pleasant thing to drink, brings a bit of comfort and joy to one's morning. 

Starbucks... offering spent grounds saves them money. If they can use it as an image booster at the same time then good for them. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 66,330
    Well, there’s ‘walking around with a cuppa’ 😊 and there’s walking down the high street, crossing the road and going in and out of shops while trying to drink a takeaway coffee without tripping, slipping and spilling it over yourself and other people whilst also texting your mates to tell them that you’re walking through the town with a coffee .... 🙄 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh