Forum home Garden design

Finally my own garden

• Patsy FPatsy F KentPosts: 46
    Hello. I’ve just logged onto this site after some while, and read all the comments on this thread with interest.  Have you made further progress this year?  It would be good to see more photos.  Incidentally, I love Obelisk’s designs. 
    My apologies!  I hadn’t read the full thread. 🙄
    Your garden is quite lovely, and I really like your ideas for the end of the garden. The suggestion for bare root hedging would be a less expensive option.  I chose copper beech for ours.  Looking forward to following your thread.  Have the neighbours moved in yet?

• Now if only i could get the dog to stop peeing on the lawn!! :'(:neutral: 
    I've done a small fenced off 2mx3m area for our dog, whenever I let her out I tell her to do her wee in the fenced bit, encourage this by 1st thing on a morning when the dog needs the loo put them into the fenced area and reward them when they do their business. Part of our dogs routine now, soon as she is aloud out in the back garden she'll do her wee in the fenced area then is free to play in the garden as much as likes. Works well.

Sorry for the pics of the garden and veg beds, but we moved in in January and made all the raised beds so we're quite chuffed with how our gardens coming on too and can't help but share!  :blush:
  • newprojectgardennewprojectgarden Posts: 73
    edited November 2020
    Patsy F said:
    Your garden is quite lovely, and I really like your ideas for the end of the garden. The suggestion for bare root hedging would be a less expensive option.  I chose copper beech for ours.  Looking forward to following your thread.  Have the neighbours moved in yet?

Hi,
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting. The neighbours have moved in now, both sides very friendly people :)

There was a few hours break from rain today, so I got out there and got some digging done.! I wasn't expecting to get the majority of the turf removed in a couple of hours work. Now I just need to get my line straight and then put the line for the hedge in.

I will probably dig down a foot or 2 behind the hedges for the gravel/rock garden area...thinking about a couple of steps going down to the area from the gap in the hedges. Also if I can drop a foot or 2 especially in the area of the bench, it will give even more privacy..

Looked up some hedges today, I don't want to go too small as It will just mean waiting longer for a decent hedge. I will probably go with one of these options as an example:

The width of my garden is 8m. The yews planted 18inches apart means i would need about 18 of them. So i'm looking at around £250 if i went with the 2-3ft rootball at £14.39 each. (give or take a couple of plants)

These are some of the rocks i have, plus the ones already along the back fence. (the flat ones, i may use to build a small wall, i'm not sure yet.

I will decide at a later date what kind of gravel i'll use..I'll be letting the area i've dug out settle over winter, I can get rid of weeds as they come out. Then I can put the gravel down early spring hopfully..well, that's the plan at the moment.!
  • newprojectgardennewprojectgarden Posts: 73
    edited November 2020
    koyukano said:

Now if only i could get the dog to stop peeing on the lawn!! :'(:neutral: 
    I've done a small fenced off 2mx3m area for our dog, whenever I let her out I tell her to do her wee in the fenced bit, encourage this by 1st thing on a morning when the dog needs the loo put them into the fenced area and reward them when they do their business. Part of our dogs routine now, soon as she is aloud out in the back garden she'll do her wee in the fenced area then is free to play in the garden as much as likes. Works well.

That's a good idea. Gives me something to consider...

Your garden is looking good, the raised beds look great too :)

• Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 2,724
    Looking good there @newprojectgarden, like the design of your lawn.( you might want to invest is some long edge cutters so you can stand up when trimming round the edges....saves a lot of back ache!). You've made a super start in such a short time. Where are you going to put the washing line!?😉😅
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,597
    I really like the shape of the lawn and beds @newprojectgarden😀
  • WillowBarkWillowBark Posts: 184
    Being a very new member to this forum, I have only just come across your thread, but, oh, my goodness, what a change you have brought about! Your garden looks great so far and the progress pics are fascinating. As someone with a much smaller garden, overlooked on all possible sides and from all possible angles, I am both envious and resigned to the fact that I cannot possibly achieve what you are aiming for! Your garden looks amazing. I love your style and how you are starting to bring everything together, and I am really looking forward to seeing what it looks like when it's "finished" (if a garden can ever be that). Come Spring, when everything bursts into life and is in full bloom, I bet it will look astonishing. Please post some more updates so we can see the transformation!

In short: great work, I really like it.