Forum home Garden design

Finally my own garden

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,597
    Your garden is looking lovely! I bet its kept you same during these times! 
    I was just thinking that once everything had died back for the year would be your opportunity to paint the fence.  If you use a spray method to apply it, it shouldn't drip through.
  • Your garden is looking lovely! I bet its kept you same during these times! 
    I was just thinking that once everything had died back for the year would be your opportunity to paint the fence.  If you use a spray method to apply it, it shouldn't drip through.

Hi WonkyWomble,
    Yes good point. Painting the fence is something that's been on my mind. I think I'm going to go for Silver Copse or Urban slate..What do you think?
  • @WonkyWomble and thanks for the kind words about my garden, it has helped me keep sane during these times you're right!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,899
    The dark colour fence will make anything in front pop.
    How about a dogwood they have big leaves in summer, small flowers I know, and deep red stems in winter. They will love it under the trees. 
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,597
    Hi @newprojectgarden
    Personally I'm on a tight budget being a newly self employed gardener so I'd go for the silver copse as its more reasonable and very little difference.  Either choice will really make your boundaries vanish and your foliage pop out! 
    I've had a lovely day planting my iris delivery.  I opted for gala Madrid and bright button.  Can't wait until they bloom!  :)
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,508
    When I last saw this thread we had no idea what Covid would do! You have done really well @newprojectgarden, it's looking lovely.

If you want to divide your garden you could use trellis or a pergola and grow some climbers. You don't have to have them all the way across, just enough to hide a bit.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Hi @Busy-Lizzie thanks for stopping back and thanks for the compliments. It was a lot of hard work, but it's been fun.

Yes a trellis or pergola would be a good idea..Ill look into that

A hedge running across the bottom of the garden giving this effect is what I'm thinking off...and then a small, shaded rock garden behind with ferns and other shady plants. ..

• Hi @newprojectgarden
    Personally I'm on a tight budget being a newly self employed gardener so I'd go for the silver copse as its more reasonable and very little difference.  Either choice will really make your boundaries vanish and your foliage pop out! 
    I've had a lovely day planting my iris delivery.  I opted for gala Madrid and bright button.  Can't wait until they bloom!  :)

Thanks, yes they seem of a similar colour. It was very hard to get hold of paint during spring when it was the lockdown, I noticed it's back in stock everywhere now.
    I'll just have to make an 'essential' trip. ;) and also wait for the right weather...looks to be wet for a while now.. :(

• newprojectgardennewprojectgarden Posts: 73
    edited November 2020
    I just wish hedging wasn't so expensive.! I'll need about 8m worth to cover the width of my garden
  • Bare root plants are available now and always much cheaper than potted.
    I'm a tightwad ;) and even I was able to buy some bareroot hornbeam a few years ago that are making a good hedge now. :)