Forum home Garden design

Finally my own garden

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,896
    It's the Wickes paint I want , but they won't deliver here.

Urban slate 👍
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 2,719
    Hello @newprojectgarden  and hope you are settling into your new home. 

Just to let you know of our experience of fence painting, I hope you don’t mind. Our neighbours in our old house painted their side of the fence, black. Didn’t tell us and we woke one morning to find our side of fence covered in black dribbles. Completely spoiled our side, they had taken no care whatsoever, to stop it dribbling through. We were very disgruntled. We had to sand it all off ( which took ages and we’re not spring chickens!)  and then repaint our side. Hopefully you will be a lot more careful and considerate than our neighbours were ( particularly if using a dark colour). Good luck and enjoy your new garden..👍
  • Hello @newprojectgarden  and hope you are settling into your new home. 

Just to let you know of our experience of fence painting, I hope you don’t mind. Our neighbours in our old house painted their side of the fence, black. Didn’t tell us and we woke one morning to find our side of fence covered in black dribbles. Completely spoiled our side, they had taken no care whatsoever, to stop it dribbling through. We were very disgruntled. We had to sand it all off ( which took ages and we’re not spring chickens!)  and then repaint our side. Hopefully you will be a lot more careful and considerate than our neighbours were ( particularly if using a dark colour). Good luck and enjoy your new garden..👍

Hi Songbird,
    Thank you for your insight. I totally understand the situation that you were in. I'm currently holding off painting the fences as paint is hard to get hold of at the moment..I think when I do get round to doing it, I will speak to the neighbours first.
    Thanks again,

• newprojectgardennewprojectgarden Posts: 73
    edited April 2020
    Hello everyone,
    I have been playing around with a border. This will be for shade tollerant plants. Ferns, fatsia japonica, hellebores (they won't be staying where they are in the photo), some ground covering plants such as, Asarum europaeum, Fuchsia procumbens , also grasses such as Hakonechloa macra. Just some ideas at the moment. This right side of the garden is very shady. The left hand fence gets lots of sun.

My next job is to finish the border, as you can see I have rotavated the soil, ill remove some of the rubble and then add some organic material/mulch over the top. Should keep me busy over the weekend!

Sorry I took the photos quickly through the window..hence the reflection, doh

I have also purchased 2 packs of nematodes. I will give the lawn a double strength treatment this weekend as the soil should have warmed up a bit with this weather..

• newprojectgardennewprojectgarden Posts: 73
    edited June 2020
    Hello everyone, I hope you're all well and enjoying the sunshine :)

Here is a little photo update. As you can see the garden is coming along nicely, it has been lots of hard work!

Now if only i could get the dog to stop peeing on the lawn!! :'(:neutral:

• sarinkasarinka Posts: 269
    It's looking beautiful 😀 

What would you like to do eventually? Pond? Bench?
  • sarinka said:
    It's looking beautiful 😀 

What would you like to do eventually? Pond? Bench?

Thanks! I would love a pond one day, maybe towards the back right corner..

A bench is deffinatly on my shopping list yes :)

I've now created a small border along the left hand fence. The turf there wasn't growing well and was messy along the fence. Maybe next year i'll play around with curves. I've currently planted a load of annuals there, some cosmos, nicotiana sensation, salvias among others.

I would also like to extend the patio next year. There is a small one about 1.5m2 at the bottom of the photo
  • 1634 Racine1634 Racine Posts: 565
    Looking good @newprojectgarden

Very jealous that of all that potential you have there.

What’s the next plan?  As per some earlier comments I would be going for pond, seating area and maybe some structures to add height (arches, pergola?)
  • Hello everyone,
    Well, summer has been and gone, Autumn is well underway.

The borders in my garden filled out nicely over summer, I have now cut them all back/removed the annuals.

I learnt a lot about the space I have this year, shady spots, dry ground areas etc. I am now planning what to do next.

My priority is to create some privacy with hedges. ( I'm patient..so I know I won't have the privacy for a few years)

The bottom end of the garden is quite dry, I believe due to the small woodland area on the other side of the fence. The large trees must suck up the moisture in summer as the grass never grew very well there without the help of a sprinkler.

My plan is to turn the bottom end of the garden into a rock/gravel garden, separated from the rest of the garden by a hedge. I have got my hands on some great weathered stones for use when I'm ready (they were free).

The hedge would be a bit in front of the line I drew,with a meter or so gap entrance somewhere (maybe a small path going through the border on the right hand side)

Having an area of the garden that no one could see into would be really nice. I could put a bench in there and depending on how the hedge effects light, plant suitable plants.

I would move the pear tree I have planted up against the back fence to somewhere alone the left fence.

I am also planning cutting out the same shape border on the left hand side as is on the right. So if you can imagine the 2 ends of the borders meet the hedge on either side, if that makes sense?!

If any one has any ideas on how I could divide up the garden into areas, that would be great to hear.

Looking forward to having an area one day that no body can see into.