Forum home Garden design

Finally my own garden

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,485
    You’re going to have lots of fun with that new garden. Lovely to have those pear trees ... we have espaliered a Concorde pear to form a ‘fence’ between our terrace and veg patch ... it’s in its seventh year now and we had a good crop of fruit last year 😊
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,104
    Ooh, a lovely blank canvas !
    Just a thought, any chance you can create a "hedgehog highway"  at the base of those fences ? (They look like wooden bases to me, but it is quite early in the morning). 
    If you could spread the word to your new neighbours, you could have quite a little motorway for our spiky friends 🦔
  • BibluBiblu Posts: 25
    edited March 2020
    Thanks for the update, I've been trawling through 'blank canvas' threads for inspiration recently as we also have a new build, but people often forget about them and there's only a 'before' photo. It's nice to see someone taking the time to keep the thead updated, I'm interested to see how yours progresses :smile:

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,899
    Before going too much further I would be tempted to paint the fences ( my preference would be dark grey/black ) to make them recede and the garden look bigger, also make the plants stand out.😁
  • newprojectgardennewprojectgarden Posts: 73
    edited March 2020
    You’re going to have lots of fun with that new garden. Lovely to have those pear trees ... we have espaliered a Concorde pear to form a ‘fence’ between our terrace and veg patch ... it’s in its seventh year now and we had a good crop of fruit last year 😊
    Hi Dovefromabove, thanks for the comment. Yes, I'm looking forward to watching it establish over the years ahead :) It's an opportunity that I've been waiting for, for a long time. Your pear tree sounds interesting, the 2 pears I now have had a pretty good crop last year, I'm guessing I might have to wait a year or 2 before these fruit again. I think they will have a lot of reactive growth this year..Hope you have another good crop :)

AnniD said:
    Ooh, a lovely blank canvas !
    Just a thought, any chance you can create a "hedgehog highway"  at the base of those fences ? (They look like wooden bases to me, but it is quite early in the morning). 
    If you could spread the word to your new neighbours, you could have quite a little motorway for our spiky friends 🦔

Hi Anni, great idea. That's something I can look into, thanks! :)

Biblu said:
    Thanks for the update, I've been trawling through 'blank canvas' threads for inspiration recently as we also have a new build, but people often forget about them and there's only a 'before' photo. It's nice to see someone taking the time to keep the thead updated, I'm interested to see how yours progresses :smile:

Hi Biblu, yes, sometimes these kind of posts don't get updated. I will try and keep this one going. Have you done anything to your garden yet? How was your turf experience..?(seeing at it's a new build) All the best and thanks for commenting,

Before going too much further I would be tempted to paint the fences ( my preference would be dark grey/black ) to make them recede and the garden look bigger, also make the plants stand out.😁
    Great idea purpleralim. I'll be honest, I totally forgot about painting the fence! I like the idea of a dark grey too. It could really transform the space and create a modern feel.

I have found these 3 options in stock

The last one seems to have the best reviews, but is almost double the price at£30 a tin. Not sure how many tins I would need..

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,899
    I have a pagoda to paint, with no paint! 🙄
    edited March 2020
    I have a pagoda to paint, with no paint! 🙄

Wickes seem to be one of the few stores with paint in stock who will currently deliver
  • Urban slate or silver copse? Lets have a vote B)
  • FfoxgloveFfoxglove UkPosts: 480
    Silver copse! 
    edited March 2020

hmmm. I'm now wondering, what’s the chance of paint seeping through to my neighbours side..I also just thought about the fact that I only own the fence panels on one side of the garden and along the back, my neighbour will own the other side. I believe you have to ask the neighbour for permission.

No one has actually moved into either side of my property, and I doubt they will for a while, so there is no one to ask..

I could always offer to paint their fence for them if they have an issue.. :#

I guess the main issue is if grey paint will drip through the other side..