Forum home Garden design

Finally my own garden

• Ditsy said:
    Great thread @newprojectgarden ! I only came across it last night. 

Really inspiring watching your garden change, grow and flourish with all the great updates.

How did you get on with Greenkeeper's secret? Having 2 dogs my lawn has a tough time and could do with a boost!
    Hi Ditsy, thanks.!
    I think Greenkeepers secret is a good product, it worked well last summer for  me. I also used Miracle grow lawn feed (in a similar spray bottle that connects to the hose). I'd recommend both. Dogs can really make looking after a lawn a continuous struggle can't they..my dog seems to have very potent urine! He is fed a raw diet, I don't know if that has anything to do with it..

Julie495 said:
    I was wondering if you might considering some beautiful silver birch trees to add some height and dappled shade. Three together would add a lovely feature. Maybe around the middle of lawn, so you could wander through them to the back part.

Thanks Julie. It's a great idea and something that I've been thinking about as well, although not specifically birch trees, I like that idea though. I feel like there could be something dividing the garden more in the middle area. 
    On the top left of the patio is a nice Japanese maple that I rescued as someone didn't want it, I've been contemplating planting that somewhere on the lawn, but I'm really  not sure where.. 

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them 

Your neighbours don't seem to be making much of an effort. :wink:
    Haha..yes not yet, I better not slag them off to much in case they are lurking in this thread!:sweat_smile:
  • newprojectgardennewprojectgarden Posts: 73
    edited 2 May
    Updated plant list

Palms/Palm-like

1 x Butia odorata (small)
    3 x Trachycarpus fortunai (2 more being delivered to plant around the centre of lawn) 
    3 x Chamaerops humilis
    2 x Cordyline
    1 x Yucca gloriosa

Ferns:

2 x Dicksonia antarctica (babies, no trunks, surprisingly survived winter uncovered except with mulch. New shoots have now begun emerging)
    Dryopteris atrata
    Dryopteris erythrosora 'Brilliance'
    Polypodium vulgare
    A few Asplenium scolopendrium (Harts tongue fern)
    Athyrium niponicum pictum (Japanese painted fern)
    Athyrium felix-femina Frizelliae (Tatting fern)

Shrubs and others:

Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Rex'
    2 x Fatsia japonica
    Acca Sellowiana
    Number of helebores
    Gunnera manicata (in a large pot this year while I decide on a suitable spot)

Grasses / Grass like

Arundo donax
    Fargesia robusta 'Campbell' (bamboo)
    Imperata cylindrica - Japanese blood grass
    Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola'

Ground cover / low growing shrubs:

Persicaria runcinata 'Purple fantasy'
    Podophyllum 'Spotty Dotty'
    Hosta 'Halcyon'
    Hosta 'Fragrant Bouquet'
    3 x Heuchera 'Sugar frosting'
    Genus Brunnera 'Jack frost'

10 x Dwarf lupins blues
    4 x Lupins - Manhattan lights
    Daliah 'moonfire' (to be planted out)

Bananas currently inside to plant out later:
    1 x Musa basjoo
    1 x Ensete ventricosum 'Maurelii'
    1 x Musa acuminata 'Dwarf Cavendish'

Trees:
    Acer grisium 'Paper bark  maple'
    Unknown japanese red maple
    2 x pears
    1 x apple
    2 x cherry

Annuals grown from seed:

Coleus 'Rainbow mixed'
    Morning glory 'Grandpa otts'
    Cosmos 
  • bullfinchbullfinch SurreyPosts: 448
    It's going to look amazing with all those plants 😊
    edited 9 May
    Project kill ivy almost complete...

Cut it all at the base a few weeks ago..and had thousands of leaves drop last week, the wind over the last few days was perfect to finish it off!

Too bad that the tree has ash die back. It does look so much better now though 

• DitsyDitsy LondonPosts: 163
    Looking good! Maybe you could plant the palms in the bit of bed on the left of picture where the other palm is. Just a thought...
  • D0rdogne_DamselD0rdogne_Damsel Saint Yrieix La Perche, Haute Vienne/Dordogne border. FrancePosts: 3,316
    Really coming on, nice to see some ground level photos too, the high shots are good for an overview but nice to see the plants in detail and the eye level view highlights really well what a lovely space you have there. Keep sharing. :)
    "To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul." — Alfred Austin
  • Ruthie_QRuthie_Q Posts: 14
    What a difference from a couple of months ago. Its looking lovely 
    edited 29 May
    Some photo updates :) Hope you're all well