Forum home Problem solving

Climbing Roses

PennypitstopPennypitstop Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire.Posts: 29
I have 3 climbing roses, one of them has not dropped its leaves yet and the other 2 are growing new shoots and new leaves are coming out. Should i prune the new leaves off or leave it growThank you in advance for any replies.  

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,292
    I have a mix of shrub, rambling and climbing roses.   Some are now naked, others have a few leaves, others have a few flowers and all are starting to show buds.   Generally speaking, the next 5 or 6 weeks of winter can be the coldest/wettest/windiest so I shall leave any pruning and tidying till the weather has done its worst and I can see what and where to cut back for healthy growth this coming spring and summer.

I'd have thought Grimsby could get exceptionally cold well into March if you get some lovely easterlies off the North Sea so I'd advise patience but make sure your climbing rose stems are secured and can't whip about in strong winds and when you do prune, remember the 3 Ds of pruning.   Dead, diseased and damaged stems are cut out first and then you shape it and feed.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PennypitstopPennypitstop Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire.Posts: 29
    edited January 2020
    Thank you Obelixx, i like the 3 Ds that is a good way to remember, Our garden is a south facing walled garden so it is very sheltered, we can be lovely and warm in the back then go to the front and it drops several degrees !, i will wait and see what happens, do you think i should feed them seeing as the growth has started ? .
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,292
    No?  Not yet.  When you prune them as feeding now will only encourage soft new growth that will be wrecked by frosts.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • PennypitstopPennypitstop Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire.Posts: 29
    Thank you Obelixx :)