Forum home Tools and techniques

axe

morning fellow gardeners. I have just been given some holly logs which need splitting,  can anyone recommend a good brand/make of axe??  thanks in advance

• steephillsteephill Posts: 1,867
    Are you looking to buy a tool which will last a lifetime or just something to do one batch? All the usual hardware shops do splitting axes covering a range of budgets and shaft materials. If you already have a sledgehammer then a splitting wedge (wood grenade) might be enough.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,200
    I use a lump hammer and a thick chisel or spike. I'll show you the dent in my steel-toecap boots if you need to know why I stopped using an axe :# My own fault for using a felling axe for splitting though. If you do want to use an axe then a splitting axe should be long enough that a missed swing should hit the ground before your feet and it should be fairly blunt.
  • thanks, I am also a bit wary about using an axe ,  will try both these ideas as i do have a sledgehammer and im sure i could buy a lump hammer if i cant find one 

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,151
    Or you could hire an electric log splitter for a day or two...
    That’s what we’re going to do when the beech tree comes out.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down