Forum home Tools and techniques

axe

morning fellow gardeners. I have just been given some holly logs which need splitting,  can anyone recommend a good brand/make of axe??  thanks in advance

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,838
    Are you looking to buy a tool which will last a lifetime or just something to do one batch? All the usual hardware shops do splitting axes covering a range of budgets and shaft materials. If you already have a sledgehammer then a splitting wedge (wood grenade) might be enough.
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,464
    I use a lump hammer and a thick chisel or spike. I'll show you the dent in my steel-toecap boots if you need to know why I stopped using an axe :# My own fault for using a felling axe for splitting though. If you do want to use an axe then a splitting axe should be long enough that a missed swing should hit the ground before your feet and it should be fairly blunt.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • thanks, I am also a bit wary about using an axe ,  will try both these ideas as i do have a sledgehammer and im sure i could buy a lump hammer if i cant find one 

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,341
    Or you could hire an electric log splitter for a day or two...
    That’s what we’re going to do when the beech tree comes out.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down