Forum home The potting shed

Wooden Planters - Outdoor

Hi

I’m making some planters with treated wood.
I’ve used garden fabric liner (weed membrane) in the past although I’ve heard that roof cement works well.

What liner would forum members recommend?

Thanks

• I've used pond liner ( simply because I had a lot left over ) .  Planters are now in their 2nd year of use and seem ok.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,281
    Any kind of plastic will do as it needs to be a waterproof barrier, including old plastic compost bags turned inside out. Weed membrane fabric isn't waterproof. 
  • Thanks.

I have seen advice that plastic should not be used as excess water can be retained.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,210
    I've used weed membrane on mine. I found when I first made them,unlined,  the wood became dry and shrunk in summer, membrane allows enough moisture to keep the wood from shrinking but doesn't waterlog the boxes. 
    Devon.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,281
    @evandbella, sorry, should have said to make drainage holes through the plastic at the bottom of the planter.
  • Yes, I should also have said that my wooden planters are only lined round the sides.  The base is straight on to the lawn and I find a layer or 2 of weed membrane works for that.
    If you plastic the base, then as @Lizzie27 says, you need to make drainage holes.
  • And I forgot to mention that the planters I make aren’t fixed!
  • Thank you for the advice.