Forum home Plants

Joe pye weed

jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 456
Has anyone had success growing joe pye weed?  I have failed.  Any suggestions

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,299
    edited January 2020
    Mine are very vulnerable to slugs when the new shoots appear.  If I can get them past that stage they grow well for me.  They do better in the damp part of the garden than they do in the dry (however, that is where the slug problem is worse too 🙄)
    However, just noticed you are in Texas, so my experience may not help you much.  @PeggyTX can you help?
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027
    They do very well in my bog garden, so I think dampness is the key.
    There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,869
    Like Chicky I find the slugs decimate them as the shoots appear, but once they get going they're no trouble at all. They do seem to like damp soil as said above.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 456
    Joe pye is native to texas.  How do you get them started?  I have a seed packet
    I started with small plants - never grown them from seed ......
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,011
    Although it’s not the most recommended form of propagation, Joe-pye weed plants can be grown from seeds. They require stratification for about 10 days at 40°F. (4 C.). Do not cover the seeds as they require light for germination, which on average takes about two to three weeks  :)
  • jamesholtjamesholt Central texasPosts: 456
    Thank you
  • carletonexoticcarletonexotic YorkshirePosts: 80
    I've managed to germinate several seeds - albeit slowly - on a sunny windowsill this year. Looking forward to planting them out at the back of my borders.
    An exotic jungle garden in West Yorkshire: instagram.com/carletonexotic