Forum home Tools and techniques

Shed storage

I finally have my shed. I also have an awful lot to store in it.

Does anyone have any good tips for getting the most storage out of a small space? Has anyone used pegboard for tools and if so do you like it and what brand?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,768
    I just have a board made from composite wood into which I have inserted screws on which I can hang my collection of Wolf multi-head tool heads and my secateurs, hand forks and trowels.   A set of shelves for pots and fertilisers and any other storage according to space and what you have to store.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 631
    edited January 2020
    Get a table right across one end, doubles the storage in that area. Hooks on the ceiling and walls. Try and keep the floor as clear as possible
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,595
    I have one of these https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9328350 on the inside of the shed door.  Absolutely brilliant for storing smaller items such as secateurs, gloves, string etc and takes up no space.

• Thanks guys, this is all helpful stuff
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,884
    I have floor to ceiling industrial metal shelving taking up one whole wall housing stackable, labelled crates, with infrequently used stuff at the top. A long table (again mine is industrial with a heavy chipboard top) against another wall is ideal for both extra storage and workspace, narrow shelving at the back, on top of the work surface. The third wall has hooks for tools. It does help if you can keep the floor clear, so you are not having to move stuff to get the lawnmower or other machinery out. My mower, chipper etc., are lined up with the door so they can be wheeled out easily. 
  • It's about 1.6 by 2 m inside, so not very big.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,182
    One thing that I have learnt about storage is to declutter first.
    Before you buy storage for everything you have clear out all the stuff you don't need/use and then you can see what you actually have left and then get the appropriate storage items.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings