Forum home The potting shed

Used soil

Hi All . When you move seedlings on and have potting soil and gravel left over what do you do with it ? Thanks for any answers 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,130
    I put it on the compost heap or a bare area of the veg bed.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• floraliesfloralies Haute-Garonne SW FrancePosts: 1,276
    Same as Dove, on the borders as well. Used compost when re-potting tubs goes on borders as well.
  • B3B3 Posts: 17,569
    I throw it on the border and let the worms do the work. It's great for improving clay soil
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  •   Dovefromabove said:
    I put it on the compost heap or a bare area of the veg bed.  

What if the used seed-soil contains vermiculite?  Can you still chuck the whole thing onto the compost heap?

Also, can seed soil that has been used once be used again for another batch of seeds, or is that too risky/unproductive?

• PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    edited January 2020
    I would not use old soil for seeds. I agree that chucking used compost on to the garden or the compost heap is ok.

Using old vermiculite should make no difference at all as its main purpose is to open up the soil in the first place so just put everything used on the garden and the worms will deal with it.

SW Scotland
  • Thanks PurpleRain! (I only spotted your response just now)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,193
    If the gravel is worth keeping you can put the soil in a bucket, add some water and float the organic matter away from the gravel. Pour the floating wet soil into a green waste bag or similar which will let the water drain out and leave you with dryish soil again. You can keep rinsing the gravel or pour boiling water on it if you need it more sterile.