Forum home Plants

Daphne bholua 'Jacqueline Postill'...

MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,399
This very large shrub has started blooming for me... sometimes it can start mid Dec, but usually it's mid Jan and will finish early to mid April... it's at its best Feb/March... so a very long flowering season ...
I keep it pruned to about 8 x 5 foot but 10 or 12 foot by 6-8 foot is easily achievable after 8 years or so...
It asks only one thing of the gardener... once planted, don't move it...   snails can be a problem as they hide in the branches and eat the leaves..

The usual intoxicating scent.... well worth a try if you've not grown it before...

...snow and frosts are not a problem...

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,874
    Lovely bush, Marlorena.  I wish I could keep one. I have lost two so far.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • JemulaJemula Posts: 146
    Beautiful.  I lost mine from my former garden when it was in full flower during the "beast from the east" a couple of years ago. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,271
    That is a lovely  bush @Marlorena. I have a youngish variegated Daphne but the leaves appear to be turning yellowish and it doesn't look particularly healthy. Do you think this may be due to the extreme wet we've had or does it need feeding perhaps?
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 6,399
    @Lizzie27 ...thank you Lizzie.. the leaves on my plant often look chlorotic but I think it's the way it is with these... I've never grown it on acid soil, which might make them look more lush.... but if you have a Daphne odora type, then these used to contain a virus which always made them look unhealthy....  unless it's propagated from virus free stock then they will never look the most healthiest plants whatever you do...

Perhaps some Azalea type feed in Spring might be worth a try....
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,271
    Thanks Marlorena, I did wonder about the Azalea feed, I have some somewhere!
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,161
    My favourite plant at this time of year.  Ours normally starts flowering in the Christmas holidays and goes on til April.  And what an amazing scent .....love it 😍
    The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,259
    You need to prune it to keep it manageable  :open_mouth:
    I hate you  >:)