Forum home Problem solving

Growing tomatoes and chilli in tropical climate

Hi all, 
I am new to this forum and to gardening in general. I live in Singapore where it is always hot & humid. I am growing cherry tomatoes, chilli peppers (black hungarian ones) and basil.
- Tomatoes have been attacked by white flies and in general seem to suffer a lot, I am not sure if it is a desease or if I am over/under watering them. I started by watering them every day and now I do it every 2 or 3 days. Their leaves get dry at the end, sometimes the top of the plant stops growing as you see from the photos. I thought it could be the suckers, but I remove them regularly 
- The chilli started very well and now they have grown couple of fruits. However, the leaves became very soft, yellowish and drop often. My guess is that I am overwatering them as I was watering them every other day. I will try to water them 1-2 times a week
- The basil is doing well, its growing fast and its getting bigger everyday, maybe because I prune it often
Here are some photos. Hope it helps! I used organic soil mix and used fertilizer when they were flowering, I stopped using it 1 month ago. 
Thanks in advance for the help! 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,267
    Hello, I’m afraid that this is a forum based in Britain. We have to grow chilis and tomatoes in greenhouses mostly. Even inside our greenhouses the humidity and heat is not that of Singapore. I remember very well, going into banks and shops in Singapore simply to cool down.😀

Somebody may be able to give you general advice here, but as our pathogens will be different from yours it may be better if you find a forum based in the tropics.

Good luck.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,876
    The photo of the chili plant with spots on the leaves (3rd from the last photo) may be caused by spider mites.
    Have a look with a magnifying glass on the underside of the leaves and see if you can see them - they're almost transparent. Sometimes you'll find small webs on the affected plants.
    Generally, the plants look as if they need a lot more light as they're quite leggy.
    I won't have any homegrown tomatoes until July...
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,021
    The only garden forum l could find relating to Singapore was this one, however a search on Google may help you find more a bit closer to home. I think Pete may be right as regards spider mite. 
    http://www.greenculturesg.com/