Forum home Problem solving

How do I correctly Prune

I have a David Austin Gentle Hermione & a Claire Austin standard rose.  I have tried various ways of pruning it without much success.  The first year I tried pruning hard, which was pretty much how I received the roses.  The result was a rather leggy bush with no new growth appearing from the grafted part of the rose. 

The second year I tried just reducing the branches by 1/3 but this also produced an even leggier appearance & again no new growth from the grafted part of the rose.  

Could anybody offer me any advice, I would be very grateful.

• yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    The  David Austin website has excellent pruning advice.
    If you are still uncertain after reading this link, try sending a few photos of your rose to see if anyone on the forum can guide you.

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/advice-and-inspiration/pruning-an-english-shrub-rose/
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,109
    ..it's difficult to advise without pictures... I cannot see what you've got there...
    ..but with these roses, both of which will form large shrubs or climbers in another garden, when grown as standards you have to contain their habit of wanting to grow larger than is needed...  so you should prune back the main framework to roughly between 1 and 2 feet depending what you've got to work with... I wouldn't take it back any further... and prune any side shoots back to a couple of bud eyes, if you know what I mean by that...

...after the first main flush of bloom, you should trim canes back again by about 1/3rd... aiming for a rounded shape.....that's the main aim with standards, trimming and shaping....stand back, look at it, and see if it's fairly even throughout... best of luck with that...
  • Thank you Marlorena, I am asking on a friends behalf so will pass your advice onto her.