Forum home Wildlife gardening

Planting multiple native Rowan trees (Sorbus Aucuparia)

I want to plant the native rowan tree in our garden to provide berries for birds in the autumn.

Would planting two close together (half a metre apart)
a) look good?
b) reduce the ultimate height of both trees?

Look forward to hearing your views.

• robairdmacraignilrobairdmacraignil CorkPosts: 220
    a) I think it would still look good but not as good as a larger single tree.
    b) The trees that close together would be directly competing with each other so they should have a reduced ultimate height unless one is dominant and the other fails and dies off allowing the remaining one get to its full potential height eventually.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,350
    I'm not sure if the rowan in my photo - in my new front garden - was planted as a multi-stemmed tree, or was several saplings planted together.  I like it, anyway...  I'd plant them in the same planting hole, personally.  

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • AWBAWB Posts: 419
    I too have planted bare rootRowans close together, figure in 15 years will see if there is a problem and thin if necessary 
  • I have three different types planted similar distance apart been there at least ten years with no problems.  The thrushes love them as much as I do.
  • sam.y12sam.y12 Posts: 2
    Okay thanks everyone for your advice! I will plant them together :) Hopefully the thrushes will appreciate it in a few year's time.