Forum home Garden design

New Hedge

13»

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen Spain.Posts: 6,526
    I agree it’s all down to the maintenance with Leylandii. I inherited a very overgrown hedge of it that had been allowed to get far too tall and hacked back badly, so it’s very patchy, brown and ugly in places. Still provides good road noise and pollution control, blackbirds nest in in regularly and other birds use it as a handy perch. However, if I had had the choice, as you do, owb82, I would not have planted it, but gone for the Thuja. The Leylandii nearly put us off buying the house!
  • owb82 said:
    My options I think are between Laylandaii, Griselinia (or other type of Laural), Thurja Plicata. Are their any other evergreen hedge that are fast growing that I've missed?

Maybe one of the evergreen cotoneasters might be an option?
  • owb82owb82 Posts: 13
    I have had Leyandii before and found it fine to deal with, although it was not as big a hedge as this one will be. I had a landscaper put those in. This time I was looking for advice to put something in myself. Thanks I have a good idea of what I'm going to do now.

I fully understand the maintenance required and what can happen if they are allowed to grow to big. In the picture you can see there are large runs of Leylandii that are now higher than the house and are going to need cutting right down.

Thanks for all the great input so far I have appreciated everyone comments.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    it might cost, but a single row of leylandii to grow quick and provide shelter with a double hornbeam or beech on the inside (house side), then in 5 years cut down the leylandii once the hornbeam/beech has grown up.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 17,116
    Hi, how did this project proceed? An update would be great.

• owb82owb82 Posts: 13
    Hi. Yeah of course. Don't have any pictures to hand atm. I have planted Leylandii at the front and down both sides. All are growing well and forming a lovely hedge. I planted a row Griselinia down the rear and they have not done well at all. The rabbits and hares have destroyed a lot of them. I'm going to have to set up some sort of protection if I'm going to stick with them. The wildlife have not bothered the Leylandii at all. Something to think about if you have rabbits in the area.