A new disease which apparently affects all plants ?

Not wishing to start scaremongering but my OH mentioned that he had seen something somewhere about a disease which appears to affect all plants.  He cannot recall any details ( typical ! ) other than various labs are looking into it.
I also caught a brief thing on the radio about plant disease but it was in the early am and I haven't seen/heard anything since.
Anyone got any info ?

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,944
    edited 15 January
    Not really, but there have been odd mentions in recent garden magazines. I believe it's a disease related to pythora ? and the Government have bought in strict new regulations on commercially imported plants which now have to have a plant 'passport' so they can quickly identify where any infected plants come from. The RHS might have some more info on their website if you are a member, 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,942
    I had assumed it was Brexit propaganda mostly :#

• Lizzie27 said:
    Not really, but there have been odd mentions in recent garden magazines. I believe it's a disease related to pythora ? and the Government have bought in strict new regulations on commercially imported plants which now have to have a plant 'passport' so they can quickly identify where any infected plants come from. The RHS might have some more info on their website if you are a member, 
    Thanks - I;ll have a look and see what they say.  Must admit I'd thought regs were already there for imported material tho obviously didn't work too well.  I wonder how the govt define "strict" - need one of @Dovefromabove emoj of scantily clad lady brandishing a whip :D

?wild edges said:
    I had assumed it was Brexit propaganda mostly :#

Yep - I think that's it.  OH did mention Olive groves now I think of it.
    Not sure about Brexit propaganda - can't recall either side mentioning it during the endless debates but then every damn thing has a Brexit tag at present so can't be sure.

Anyway, thanks for the link.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,551
    I noticed one of the articles referred to in @wild edges's link, suggested some olive trees were less affected than others.  Hopefully some will be found with genuine resistance.  And hopefully the measures outlined for stricter import controls will be followed... though I suspect that holidaymakers will still bring illicit plants home from abroad...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,942
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 392
    The following links help to explain more about plant disease Xylella, and the plant passports.
    I work in the horticultural retail sector and the importance of preventing any disease entering the country is very important.
    Buy from responsible outlets which can prove the source of their plants, and talk to staff who understand why it is important to know where the plants they sell come from.

https://planthealthportal.defra.gov.uk/pests-and-diseases/high-profile-pests-and-diseases/xylella/
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/issuing-plant-passports-to-trade-plants-in-the-eu
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,097
    I just had a look at some photo galleries of affected plants and it looks just like the effects of drought (which is not surprising given its MO of cutting off water from rising in the tissues) so is going to be extremely difficult to ID when it does arrive here.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 392
    If in doubt contact your nearest 'Plant Health Inspector'  aka APHA (Animal and Plant Health Agency). He/she will have a kit which helps to identify whether of not a plant is infected with Xylella. Avoid all the imported host plants, I think a list is available from them.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/plant-health-controls
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • Thanks to all for your comments and links.