Forum home Tools and techniques

Propagation, overwintering and hardening off greenhouse: location

Hi, 
I've been given an exceptionally lovely (and, after a bit of research, apparently very expensive) greenhouse for free.  I also already have a weatherbeaten and condemned shed on paving slabs, which would make an ideal base... except that they are under two enormous leylandii - so enormous that there is no way they're coming down without significant financial outlay that I can't afford.  Given that I also have an allotment with a greenhouse (and no more room there for another one), my current thoughts are to use the new one at home almost exclusively for propagation, overwintering, and hardening things off.  

Do I:
A) Put the greenhouse under the leylandii, limiting what I can use it for but saving myself time, money, and using an otherwise pretty much unusable space;
A) Broach the subject of annexing a corner of the west-facing patio with the (non-gardener) other half?

I think I know what they answer is (B), but I really don't relish that discussion so if anyone thinks option A is a goer then I'd be really interested!

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,599
    Do you want to keep the Leylandii or could they be removed?
    Since they will not regrow from the brown parts of the tree it is fairly easy to cut everything back to the trunk. I have done this with the Conifer hedge at the bottom of the garden, The trunk casts only a minimum amount of shade. The branches I took to the local re-cycling place. Not too hard with a decent saw.
  • Personally, I'd rather ditch the leylandii (a scourge of all gardens, as far as I'm concerned) and replace them with something a little more whispy (silver birch, maybe?), but they're about 40ft tall so would presumably need to be professionally felled.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,865
    Have you had any quotes for removing the leylandii?  It may not be cheap, but weighing it up against the benefits of getting rid of them might make it worthwhile. 
  • A few friends and family members have had similar ones removed - only single trees, but coming it at around £500.  Assuming a bit of a discount for the two, I'd anticipate somewhere in the region of £800?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,865
    A bit of Googling found me this, but l'm sure there are some on the forum who have had personal experience and can advise (if no one appears in this thread, you could maybe start another asking the question). 
    https://www.homeadviceguide.com/guide-to-tree-surgeon-costs-in-the-uk/
  • I think it would be worth it to get two or three quotes to get them cut down and taken away. We were faced with 11 or 12 down one side of the garden,all 20ft or more high.
    We got them cut down,and its made a lot of difference to space and light. The stumps were left,but after two years they are now rotting down. It would help to know of someone who would like the logs for a woodburner,which was where ours ended up. Definately worth a bit of a lay out to get rid.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Plants will not grow well in the shade of the leylandii so what is the point of investing your time, effort and money for seed, pots and compost only to end up with nothing?
    It depends on how strongly you and yours value eating your own home grown vegetables. I would get rid of the trees but I am addicted to my garden and love eating veg. I have grown. Childish perhaps but it doesn't take much to make me happy.