What shrub is this no 2

mandyroberts99mandyroberts99 BedfordshirePosts: 36
Any idea what this is? Is gets covered in white and pink flowers in the summer. Last year I pruned about 1ft off all round and it seemed to like it but would like to prune a bit more as I have a few of these and some are getting too large for their spot

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,100
    Possibly Spirea Japonica? 
  • mandyroberts99mandyroberts99 BedfordshirePosts: 36
    AnniD said:
    Possibly Spirea Japonica? 
    Thanks - I have found some pictures and you are right. I'm not sure exactly which it is but rule out several due to its size. The pruning advice for the larger ones seems to be the same
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,829
    I've pruned these in the past by gathering the stems up, into a ponytail kinda thing and chopping it off. When it springs back it has a nice rounded shape.
    You can take the whole thing down to about 6" and it'll bounce back to a good size in no time.
    Devon.
    Hostafan1 said:
    I've pruned these in the past by gathering the stems up, into a ponytail kinda thing and chopping it off. When it springs back it has a nice rounded shape.
    You can take the whole thing down to about 6" and it'll bounce back to a good size in no time.
    The care advice I found says cut back after flowering but I wouldn't want to do that in the summer as it looks nice until the leaves drop. Do you think I can do as you suggest now or wait until it starts to show signs of new life?
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 392
    Description of flowers sounds like it could be Spirea 'Anthony Waterer'
    Cut back in Spring, Hostafan's method is the easiest way to tackle this. 
    Also remove dead flowers in Summer to maintain the shape of the shrub for the season.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/96104/Spiraea-japonica-Anthony-Waterer-(v)/Details
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,023
    I think it is Spirea Shirobana as that has both white and pink flowers on the same plant, which is what you said it has. I have one, pretty. 
    https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Trees-and-Shrubs/All-Trees-and-Shrubs/Spiraea-Shirobana-Josephs-Coat_265219.htm
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    I think it is Spirea Shirobana as that has both white and pink flowers on the same plant, which is what you said it has. I have one, pretty. 
    https://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Trees-and-Shrubs/All-Trees-and-Shrubs/Spiraea-Shirobana-Josephs-Coat_265219.htm
    That's the one! I couldn't find it on RHS
  • BONE MEALBONE MEAL Posts: 15
    I cut mine back to about 6" in the Autumn. If you cut back in the Spring you will run the risk of chopping off the emerging buds thus delaying flowering.
    BONE MEAL said:
    I cut mine back to about 6" in the Autumn. If you cut back in the Spring you will run the risk of chopping off the emerging buds thus delaying flowering.
    6"! How big do they get the next summer?
  • BONE MEALBONE MEAL Posts: 15
    About 18" roughly