Forum home Garden design

Stee Hawser to Secure 4 Angle Irons

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,427
I have sunk 4..... 3" x 3" angle irons in a square in the soil and added scaf boards to form a new raised bed.

The irons have some 18"  in the ground with 30 " above

The weight of the soil will exert a force on the boards which in turn will push on the 4 angle irons.

I want to run a strap / hawser / whatever around the  top of the RB to ensure that all will be contained.

? Any suggestions or advice please friends.
Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,908
    How about the smallest spiked Metpost driven into the ground half way along the outside of each side. A tree stake then pushed into the Metpost and screwed into the scaffolding boards?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,241
    Are you actually putting 30" of soil in the raised beds?  If so what are you planning to grow in them?
  • barry islandbarry island Posts: 1,054
    3" x 3" RSA 18" into the ground should be quite rigid how far apart are they?
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,427
    I want to run a strap / hawser / whatever around the  top of the RB to ensure that all will be contained.

Barry Island.

Agree except I have some neighbours on plots saying "Ooohhh you need to strengthen them posts me babber ". Yes I live in Bristol

If I do nothing and the posts start to drift it will be a messy job tom correct.

KT53.

I have grown parsnips and carrots succesfully over the past 4 years and its just that the boards I screwed together have rotted and fallen apart

The parsnips grow to about 18 inches as they have no stones or impediment to a long straight growth. their tap roots will go down about 6 foot to find water.

The carrots are the same about 12 " long and very straight. The RB contains top soil and some layers of horse manure.

Thanks all.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,241
    The depth makes sense now NewBoy2.  I just had visions of needing a ladder to get up to work on your raised beds.  Are they being grown for showing?
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,335
    Our local Agricultural merchants sell very strong fencing wire, maybe some of that would do the job?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,527
    Can you not drill through both the angle iron and end of the scaff boards and bolt them in place?  You would only need to do the top layer.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    KT53.

The first year I grew parsnips in the RB it took me 10 minutes to get one out.

Some of my friends on the site have a RB with just 6" of soil which to me is just an area divided off from the rest of the plot.

Bob.

Good suggestion . A friend of mine has offered some metal braces that I can just drill into the boards at the top around the irons.  Thank you.

Palustris

Many thanks for the advice.

I have added two sides of the scaffs and its starting to look like a sea defence !!
    KT53

Are they being grown for showing?

No just to see if I can.

The RB is secure and no need for any additional cables or screws.

Thank you for all of your advice and enjoy The Spring.