Forum home Problem solving

Help please - white fungus

Have got while fungus all over my bricked driveway, it is very unsightly. Its like white circles, have tried raw domestos and it wont even move it. Tried weedkiller but nothing seems to touch it. Can anyone help with suggestions

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160
    are you sure it's not the salts that sometimes come out of bricks? Have a look at efflorescence
  • Rocket42Rocket42 Posts: 5
    I am sure, its definitely not that, its the same that also grows on walls, etc. Have taken a wire brush to it and that takes it off but would take me from now until 2022 to do it all as theres so much!!
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,032
    Could you post a photo on here?  That would help us identify the problem, perhaps.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,114
    Is it a lichen of some kind?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,236
    Without a photo it’s hard to be certain, but have a look at lichens and liverworts 

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/Profile?PID=418
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks, dont think its those either. Dont think i can post a photo on here but have changed my profile photo to show what i mean.
    sory just found out how to post a photo!!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,527
    Looking at the photo's I'd say lichen - you have at least two kinds, one of which is white. If so, best learn to love them as removal is more effort than it is worth and only temporary.  Some info. here:
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Thanks BobTheGardener, that website was helpful, just a shame they are not easy to get rid of as the driveway is starting to look unsightly
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,236
    Yes lichen ... and the good news is that it’s indicative of good air quality https://sciencing.com/two-roles-lichens-play-ecosystem-8789.html
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh