Forum home Problem solving

Please help me fix this plant :)

Hello, me again! I’m wondering how I can get this little one to thrive? It’s currently in a shady spot in a north-facing room. Also it looks like it could do with some fresh soil as the soil it’s in has gone a bit clumpy, despite regular watering every few days. But I don’t want to do anything without proper advice :) 

Thank you all in advance for your help :) 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,545
    Looks to me like it needs more light, but not direct sun, and less water.  They don't like to be dry at all but you should reduce watering in winter and make sure it doesn't get cold.  

The RHS offers this info on caring for begonias grown for foliage as houseplants- 
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=814   Have a read and see if that helps.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 8,839
    I saw a good video on Youtube for these recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp2PvX_4E3M

Mine is doing well and flowering at the moment. You have to be really careful about watering as fungus will kill them really quickly. I water from underneath in the winter and never let the top of the soil get wet. The soil needs to be well draining but also needs to hold moisture (I know I hate that instruction as well). I like to get the soil almost to the top of the pot and top-dress with some grit just to stop soil floating out. If you do this you can keep the air-flow around the rhizome better and less likely to rot. In the summer they'll need more water and you can water from above as long as you're careful not to splash the water about too much. You'll probably need to find a brighter spot for it in the spring too.

Tradition is just peer pressure from dead people
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,448
    I would also re-pot in fresh compost as there does not seem to be enough in that pot.
    Also would be a good chance to see how the roots are doing!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • PegathaPegatha Posts: 86
    Thanks all, Will give your suggestions a go! Best wishes.