Shiplap fencing - how much?

FireFire LondonPosts: 5,530
I am going to replace about 45 metres of shiplap fencing. The job includes fence posts, gravel boards and removal of the equivalent in old fencing, including 15 metres of close cut ivy over part of the fence. There are no big trees or awkward things in the way (apart from my house). It all has to come through the house - no garden access otherwise.

I realise regional estimates would vary widely - but what you quote? I'm not looking for other solutions or boundary ideas (explored on my other fence posts) just ball park figures for a fairly simple job. I'm in London.

Many thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 57,212
    I'm waiting for an estimate for three panels and posts with additional trellis topping to be replaced.  I've had one estimate for £550 but I wasn't entirely happy with the firm's attitude, so have sought an estimate from another place.  I'll let you know when it arrives. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,530
    Thanks @Dove. Is that about 18ft of fence?
    OH is just popping out to measure it.    
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

edited 11 January
    Yes ... approx 18ft of fence ... each panel (waney lap type) 6ft tall plus an approx 12" trellis panel on top

Is that including VAT? It makes such a difference. :s
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,541
    I suggest you check fencing suppliers to see how much the panels and posts will cost and then double it (or more) for the labour including clearance of the old fence.   Then get people in to quote for the job and see which seems best.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,714
    So roughly 22 panels, 23 posts, 22 gravel boards, plus concrete.  Using B&Q as a source, panels roughly £22 each, concrete posts £30 each, gravel boards £13 each.  concrete £5 per bag. That's £450, £690, £300, £110 (all approx)  = £1500 for materials. 
    Probably 3 times that when you add labour, disposal of old fencing etc.
    Fire said:
    Is that including VAT? It makes such a difference. :s
    I expect to pay VAT ... it's a proper firm so it'll be registered for VAT.:open_mouth:

I used to be married to a builder ... it was awful the number of folk who expected him  to break the law by not charging VAT if they offered to pay him cash ... it wasn't them that'd go to jail ... it would've been him  :o

Absolutely @Dovefromabove, it's just that prices are often given without including the Vat, which is 20%. Quoters, in chats, often forget to mention that Vat is on top, as if were a little extra.

@KT53  - very useful. Thanks
    That’s one of the reasons I wasn’t happy with the first company who quoted ... lack of detail  ... I asked for a detailed email
    or paper quotation, but have only received a texted estimate. I wasn’t born yesterday 🙄