Forum home Problem solving

Pruning / cutting back

Hi. I’ve several plants which to date I’ve left as grown last summer and would welcome some guidance on whether to cut back or not? These include verbena, salvia, candela and rudbeckia (which has retained its flowers). Any help appreciated. Thanks.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,587
    I would leave all the top growth on, whether dead or not, as there is still a month or two of winter to go and the old stems and foliage will protect the crowns from storms, heavy frosts and snow.   Watch the weather and wait till March or even early April, depending on where you are, to cut back and allow light and air to the new growth.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • yorkshireroseyorkshirerose North YorkshirePosts: 574
    I agree. Mother Nature can spring some nasty surprises on us yet!
    A gardener's work is never at an end  - (John Evelyn 1620-1706)
  • TopbirdTopbird Mid SuffolkPosts: 7,592
    I never cut back penstemons before April but everything else I cut back when it collapses and gets messy and untidy. Anything which is behaving is left until spring
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • yorkiethorntonyorkiethornton Yorkshire Posts: 80
    Obelixx said:
    I would leave all the top growth on, whether dead or not, as there is still a month or two of winter to go and the old stems and foliage will protect the crowns from storms, heavy frosts and snow.   Watch the weather and wait till March or even early April, depending on where you are, to cut back and allow light and air to the new growth.
    Thank you 😁
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,298
    edited January 2020
    I wouldn’t cut salvias back until there’s strong new growth in the spring. Then cut back by two thirds. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh