Forum home Problem solving

Help with indoor Ivy!!

I was wondering if there’s any way to save this ivy? The leaves are turning a brown colour and dropping off, I suspect it may be from overwatering but i’m not too sure?

Any suggestions of what it could be and how to save it would be greatly appreciated, thank you! 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,448
    Hello there skarlkatieee. Your poor ivy is not looking very happy. As its pot is contained fully within a pot cover, this can lead to the pot sitting in a reservoir of water which could have led to the overwatering? Is there a radiator below the window? Ivies are hardy and would far prefer being outside in the garden than inside. I would be tempted to take it out of the pot cover so that it can drain easily and I would put it outside. Some leaves still look healthy so all is hopefully not lost. If you want to keep it inside move it to the coolest room, away from radiators and direct sunshine.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Thank you for your reply Ladybird4!

I take the ivy out of the outside pot to water, i usually place it in the bath with all my other plants and water them so they can drain easily but I was thinking maybe i have been watering too much and as it’s winter the plant may have been in a dormant period? i’m not too sure though! I originally had it in my north facing room on a shelf but when the leaves started dropping off I moved it into a south facing room thinking maybe it needed more sun. I’ll place it in a cooler room out of direct sunlight and see it that helps, thank you! 

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,448
    You are most welcome. I would remove all the obviously dead leaves too.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable