Can anyone identify this tree/shrub?

I need to prune this tree/shrub but don't know what it is so can't research how and when I should do it. Does anyone know what it is?

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,828
    Daphne, but I don't know which one. Approach pruning with caution.
    Devon.
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,180
    Has the look of D. bholua, possible Jacqueline Postil.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,541
    Shrubs that flower before the end of June should be pruned immediately after flowering finishes.   However, daphnes don't like hard pruning so be careful just to take it back a bit at a time over the seasons and gradually get it under control..
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • How lucky are you Reza, to have a daphne growing to that size. I notice it is in what I am guessing is a very sheltered corner of the house. I keep trying to grow them but they rarely live longer than 5/7 years, then suddenly, for no apparent reason turn up their toes and expire quietly. I found one in the reduced section of my local garden centre, £5.00 so am going to try once again. They are quite miffy to grow, do not like being moved or pruned so proceed with caution
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,689
    I agree with Palustris. It looks like a Daphne bholua Jacqueline Postill. They do not like pruning or being moved.  Like Joyce Goldenlily, I have lost two. One got to 5 ft then the graft failed and it died. The next was on its own roots, was going great until we had a minus 15C frost which killed it. It threw a couple of seedlings. I tried moving them at 6 inch high. They both died.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,689
    Glorious in flower, smell like a huge hyacinth.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • rezareza Posts: 12
    edited 11 January
    Thank you so much for all your help. The shrub was there when we bought the house a couple of years ago and I've only recently started doing the gardening myself so am a complete novice. If it wasn't for experienced gardeners like you taking time to help people like me then I probably would have cut it right back and killed it.

Thanks again and I'll prune very gently after flowering has finished.