Forum home Garden design

How would you design my front garden?

*FlowerGal**FlowerGal* Posts: 5
edited January 2020 in Garden design
Hello everyone, I’m hoping you can share your garden design creativity with me :-) I have moved into a new build house and the front garden is a blank slate... how would you design it?  I would love to hear your ideas. 

The aspect is south facing and receives full sun all day. It’s on the top of a hill and very windy too. 

The plants are holly and lavender which came with the house. 

Look forward to hearing from you! 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,862
    Do you want to keep any of the lawn would be my first question. Also, do you find that you cut across the grass to the front door, or do you walk round to the path? (I'm assuming that's your driveway on the left hand side).
  • You’re right that’s the driveway on the left... I usually use the rectangular utilities cover to cut across and avoid getting my shoes wet on the grass!  

I would like to keep a little bit of grass because I like to see some green in the winter. But certainly I wouldn’t mind replacing some of it with something else! 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,862
    More questions I'm afraid !  
    Is that another utilities cover in the right hand lawn ? It would be helpful (for me anyway :) ), if you could post a photo showing straight on to the front of the house, and some idea of the size of the plot. You could have evergreen shrubs which would give you greenery in the winter, it may be easier than trying to maintain a small area of lawn, just a thought. 
    You could go for things such as shrubby salvias , would you be happy with things such as hardy perennials to give interest, or more shrub type planting ?