Leaf mulch or mature compost?

Can anyone advise me on when is the best time to use the above? I have some wonderful leaf mulch, which I believe is best for giving texture to the soil but doesn’t supply nutrients whereas the compost would. So the question is which one should I use first?

• Depends what you are trying to achieve and what you are growing.  If you want to just generally beef your soil up then a scattering of BF&B is a good longish term additive ( best applied in Autumn )  A generous leaf mulch on top ?
    Depending on your soil type, mixing MPC can help bulk up your soil but you can also use shreddings, cardboard or WHY .

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,551
    Some plants are particularly fond of leaf mould - hardy cyclamen, for example.  Any plant whose native home is woodland will appreciate it as a mulch.  It increases water retention if you dig it into the soil, which could be useful if we get another dry summer...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,701
    I mix them both up and in with the soil anytime of year as general organic matter to loosen up my heavy soil, but reserve some pure oak leaf mould for my soft fruit.
  • Thank you all for your helpful comments.
    I decided to put all my leaf mould around the cyclamen and bulbs under the trees and shrubs and the other compost will do for the rest.